What I assume is "limp mode" issue
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on What I assume is "limp mode" issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok nothing is solved so let's start fresh. *new info* Car runs like a champ with MAF unplugged, issues are ...

What I assume is "limp mode" issue. Not solved info in post #1

Ok nothing is solved so let's start fresh.

*new info* Car runs like a champ with MAF unplugged, issues are only with MAF plugged in. MAF and ECM have been replaced, original ECM is back in the car as it saves me $$$

It HAS to be something the MAF is affecting but I can not for the life of me figure out what it is...

Subaru had the car for 3 weeks and the only idea the tech line gave them that they didn't try was oil control valves. *new info*

Ok long story short I flashed Cobb stage 1 and this arose, tried many things and the issue remains.

Car runs perfectly up to 4500 rpm then it just hits a wall, feels like fuel cut or hitting the rev limiter.

2006 wrx tr

I have tried flashing stock map, flashing stage 1 again, completely removed the AP from my ecu.

New plugs
    New fuel pump
    New fuel filter
    New bcs
    New MAF
    New battery
    New MAP sensor
    New front O2

Disconnected battery for 12+ hours.
    No vacuum leaks of any kind.
    Not one CEL.
    The problem persists unchanged.

Any ideas from folks wiser than myself?
    Last edited by Zarlan; 01-20-2011 at 02:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the first thing I would have done was flash the ECU back to stock and if the issue remained. Just changing parts willy-nilly gets expensive when it doesn't solve the problem. Or learn to use the datalogger for the AP. It's a very usefull tool. You could have called Cobb about the issue and sent them a datalog to look at and see if the actual map was causing the issue. My guess is you hit a boost cut.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Well the first thing I would have done was flash the ECU back to stock and if the issue remained. Just changing parts willy-nilly gets expensive when it doesn't solve the problem. Or learn to use the datalogger for the AP. It's a very usefull tool. You could have called Cobb about the issue and sent them a datalog to look at and see if the actual map was causing the issue. My guess is you hit a boost cut.
    I appreciate you responding.

This has gone on for about 2 weeks.

Well they were things I intended to change anyway as I'm near 75k miles. I can't do any sort of logging with my V1 unfortunately.

What else would cause me to hit a boost cut just from a simple flash and then have the problem remain at the same rpm every time whether stock or stage 1?

I'm willing to check out anything that may be the problem.
    Last edited by Zarlan; 11-11-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Wow, so you flashed to Stage 1 and the issue started. Then you went back to the stock map and it's still a problem?

While reading my gut told me to think about fuel pump, plugs, and injectors. Since you've changed the first 2 already, maybe it's clogged fuel injectors? A guess could be that when you went Stage 1 and they started flowing more, something went awry and hosed one or more of them. At 75k miles it's not out of the question for them to become problematic. If they are the problem this could have had nothing to do with the AP flash, but rather just the result of some really bad gas.

Really, the best thing to do would be to find someone local with a data logger (AP or a laptop+tactrix cable) to see what's going on. If the AFR is out of whack then I might be onto something with the injectors.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)

Didn't even think of the injectors, I'm ashamed!
    2 weeks of this has taken a toll on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarlan View Post
    New bcs
    Did you install an aftermarket BCS?

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    Did you install an aftermarket BCS?
    Nope, bought directly from dealership.

Oh it also almost stalls when the headlights or radiator fans turn OFF...

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car completely stock except for the AP? Is the car hitting the appropriate boost level? Sounds like a boost leak maybe.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yeah bone stock. Boost feels the same as before but I'll grab a gauge tomorrow just to be sure.

Do you just have a stutter around 4500 or can you actually not rev past 4500? I'm guessing the former.

What's your elevation? I'm only at 3600' but the Cobb maps weren't the best option for boost stability. Custom tune and all was much, much.....much...better.

Just caught your stalling issue; sounds like a pre turbo intake leak, or MAF issue. For starters check that your airbox is sealed properly and clean your MAF, inspect the wiring, etc...
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

My reading sucks today, new MAF got it. Doesn't completely rule it out however, especially if you truly are limping, could be a bad signal.
    ...Rob.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarlan View Post
    Oh it also almost stalls when the headlights or radiator fans turn OFF...

Dead cell in battery. Have it tested.

Also check all your connections at the battery and starter to make sure they are not corroded or green rotted.

Also could be the wastegate acutator arm. Cobb has info on their website about adjusting it, or Donkey is the man with the td04
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Got codes P0172 and P0031.

But, I did unplug my O2 sensor earlier.

Also it's not a stutter at 4500 it's like a brick wall.

Well luckily those codes have a relatively finite number of causes/solutions compared to others. I'd definitely recommend properly diagnosing each possible cause however. A bad primary O2 will definitely put you into limp as will a potential intake leak.
    ...Rob.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast