Subaru WRX Forum banner

What I assume is "limp mode" issue

20K views 97 replies 12 participants last post by  Calvinball 
#1 · (Edited)
What I assume is "limp mode" issue. Not solved info in post #1

Ok nothing is solved so let's start fresh.

*new info* Car runs like a champ with MAF unplugged, issues are only with MAF plugged in. MAF and ECM have been replaced, original ECM is back in the car as it saves me $$$

It HAS to be something the MAF is affecting but I can not for the life of me figure out what it is...

Subaru had the car for 3 weeks and the only idea the tech line gave them that they didn't try was oil control valves. *new info*

Ok long story short I flashed Cobb stage 1 and this arose, tried many things and the issue remains.

Car runs perfectly up to 4500 rpm then it just hits a wall, feels like fuel cut or hitting the rev limiter.

2006 wrx tr

I have tried flashing stock map, flashing stage 1 again, completely removed the AP from my ecu.

New plugs
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
New bcs
New MAF
New battery
New MAP sensor
New front O2

Disconnected battery for 12+ hours.
No vacuum leaks of any kind.
Not one CEL.
The problem persists unchanged.

Any ideas from folks wiser than myself?

See less See more
#75 ·
What is exactly is "bad" about them? How is under warranty if it's a 2006? :confused:

#77 · (Edited)
Yeah if it's free, it's not a big job that they could really mess up so who cares (famous last words).

I'm just really curious how exactly they went bad. It's really really unusual since they're just a bunch of metal with precious metals embedded in them. Not much to go wrong, but it can happen. It's always due to much higher than designed EGTs in my experience in tuned cars.

These cars normally run ok without the cats, but sometimes they don't. It's been known to happen plenty of times. I hope it's not the cat in the uppipe that went right? It's the two in the DP/catback exhaust?

#88 ·
Guess a bump is in order.

I tried to do the EGT resistor mod and the ABS light came on, CLEARLY that was the incorrect harness lol.

Too bad I can't just run with the MAF unplugged..
That created no problems, I tried something and it didn't work so I put it back. The dealership had it for 3 weeks and couldn't fix it, I'm going to have to figure something out.
You said you must have done something wrong when you flashed, causing problems. Then you did another mod incorrect and got more codes. Glad you got those fixed. I don't understand what you're saying..... Who knows what could be wrong at this point depending on what you did wrong when you flashed.

#82 ·
Something doesn't sound right...... I need to think on this a bit more, but if I were you, I'd find a REALLY good tuning shop near you. Any chance you can take it to Cobb's workshop?

#86 ·
+1 you just keep creating your own problems...

#94 ·
Misfire codes on only a couple cylinders means the spark isn't working right. Could be plugs or coilpacks or wires.

#96 ·
And here I return 2 1/2 months later and it's still not fixed. He's replaced many wires and a few sensors, nothing is helping.

Only helpful info he has is that my TGVs are partially closing at ~3k RPM.

Anyone wanna drop a boulder on the car for me while I'm at work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.