02wrx broken bolt

This is a discussion on 02wrx broken bolt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First Posting Ever I'm a newbie, that's for sure. Was never into doing cars till i got this one. Now ...

02wrx broken bolt

First Posting Ever

I'm a newbie, that's for sure. Was never into doing cars till i got this one. Now with the help of these forums I have changed the plugs and the brake pads a couple of times now.

I needed a new caliper (was not working) So i got new (stock) rotors and one caliper. The back rotors went on fine. Now i read that most people had trouble with the barking brake (rotor would not come off) so they had to do this screw thing. (newbie) Now that mine came off so easy should I look into doing something with this screw thing to get my brake working . ( It works as well as it did before).

Now, I broke a bolt off on the front right bottom caliper. Is there any way to get all (rotor and caliper) off in one shot (remove the frame brackets?) Or is this a bad idea? I'm going to a buddy's place tomorrow to work on some of the things here, plus help me bleed the breaks when i put on the new caliper( back left).

I have messed up one of the lug bolts (front left) trying to get the rotor off. Are they easy to change? Looks like they are but would like some feed back, Just hammer out old one and put the new one in as far as I can the use a bolt to pull it the rest of the way through. Sound right???

I guess what i'm asking here is for feed back, help, tips, and or advice on what i might be able to do

Great job with this site and the people on it. Very very helpful

02 wrx 132,000 KM stock everything

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

days later

Well I got the caliper off. With the nut broken off you can still get the caliper of by taking out the 2 pusher bolts and remove the top half of the caliper . No need to take the brake line off. Put out of the way, tie up and try not to mess with the brake line too much. Once that's done you can now move the bottom half of the caliper back and forth to see if it does move if not you can tap it with hammer to loosen up. Once lose it will now come off the bracket. You say the rotor is there in the way still, but once you get the rotor lose both of them with com right off. As the piece of bolt that is still in the bracket does not have any threads on it so it will slid right out.

I took the bottom half of the caliper to the shop, they say they can get it out. There is still lots of the bolt left in there to work with, so if they can't i might try and get someone to wield a long bar to it so i can get some leverage.

Now by this time they had my lug nuts in. So i took them with me to see if I could put them in. I did not try yet. Waiting for my caliper to come back. Well, one of the nuts is messed up and will not go on any of the bolts. Should have put them together at the shop.

Can I use one of my old ones or is there a weight difference I should be looking out for??? Balance

Still looking for more info on the E break screw thing.

When I change my caliper at the back, I think I'm going to do all the brakes. Sounds right and way take the chance.

Thanks

Done and Done

Well I did think I would get at least one reply here but ohhhhh well.

Bolt was easy to get out of the caliper, or so they say at the shop. Still cost me 71 bucks (CD). Got the new lug nuts and bolts in, easier then you would think. not much too it. Just have some washers around that will go over the bolt but not the nut to make up the gap that is there.

New caliper on the back driver side . Only filled that one and did not bleed the hole system. Breaks work better then ever so I might not.

Still making a little scraping sound on the back passenger side. This is why I looked at them in the first place. Dam.

Dirt shield on the back rusted away too, is this something I should replace???

Most of this stuff is easier then it looks like, you just need to start. Have some extra bolts, pads, lube, washers, break cleaner, break fluid(not much unless doing all of them).

I only had a 3 tone jack, one stand, 100 piece ratchet set and a hammer. Job got done right, everything feels good.

So I think anyone could or should do this with there own car.

I think you can just leave the shields off.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.