02 wrx crank but no start

This is a discussion on 02 wrx crank but no start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A couple of days ago i finally put a new but used(if that makes any sense what-so-ever) ej205 in my ...

02 wrx crank but no start

A couple of days ago i finally put a new but used(if that makes any sense what-so-ever) ej205 in my 02 wrx. Supposedly the engine has around 40,000 on it. We never touched the timing belt at all, intake manifold came with the engine. We put brand new spark plugs in and gapped them around .28-.30. I can hear the fuel pump feeding fuel and I know that the spark plugs are working. It cranks for a while but never starts. Any suggestions on where to start?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Check every sensor you possibly can. Most notably, the crank position sensor, and the TGV sensors. Check for fuel pressure, make sure your lines are all hooked up correctly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sensors are all plugged in, grounds are good, battery is fully charged, fuel pump is feeding fuel I can hear it start up when I put the ignition into on position. Can a bad cam positioning sensor or knock sensor cause a no start? the car cranks just fine but just wont start.

Did you happen to hear the engine run prior to the installation?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Sadly I did not but the seller told me he had gotten it compression tested prior to taking it out. The seller was a subaru junkyard owner but he said the engine was out of his personal car and he had to part out his car because of an accident if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbyJKC10 View Post
    Sadly I did not but the seller told me he had gotten it compression tested prior to taking it out. The seller was a subaru junkyard owner but he said the engine was out of his personal car and he had to part out his car because of an accident if i remember correctly.
    Hmm... as much as I hate to say it... it might be a bad engine... an engine wont start for 2 reasons 1. Its not getting fuel 2. Its not getting air.... so you said it is getting fuel so id do what was suggested earlier and triple check everything (connections, wiring, lines)... good luck...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

alright thank you for your help

check the crankshaft pulley on the timing belt. mine had missing teeth and did the same thing as yours. since it was maybe in a accident then it possibly could of broken them off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do a compression test and check the cam timing. Also make sure the coil packs are hooked up right. Black connectors to back cylinders and white to front.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S