The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone... I thought I'd start a database of repairs at what mileage owners have performed on their Subbies... Please ...

The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database

Hey everyone... I thought I'd start a database of repairs at what mileage owners have performed on their Subbies... Please include current mileage with your year and model... List any unresolved issues or anything else you feel should be mentioned...

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - 62,XXX

Repairs:

Secondary Air Pump @ 58,XXX
    Resolution- Removed system, installed blocking plates, and deleted the DTC codes

Misfire in cylinder 4 @ 61,xxx
    changed spark plug, swapped coil packs around, dealer checked out injector, checked compression
    none of which were the cause, next is regrounding the coil pack... Turned out to be a damaged piston and scored cylinder wall

Major misfire in cylinder 3 @ 61,xxx
    after compression test I put it back together in a hurry and cracked the spark plug

Engine replaced @ 62,xxx
    installed new shortblock, rebuilt/resurfaced the heads and valvetrain, full gaskets and seal replacement, installed timing belt kit

Clutch Replaced @ 62,xxx
    new clutch disc, oem flywheel, replaced throwout bearing, bled the system

Ac and alternator belts replaced @ 68,xxx
    wasn't needed badly just thought it should be replaced due to a few small cracks in the bottom of them...

Front and rear breaks replaced @ 79,xxx
    replaced break pads, turned rotors, adjusted emergency break cable...

replaced front bumper cover @ 82,xxx
    bought sliders, bumper cover, had it painted and installed. (It looks so much better!)

Maintenance:
    oil changes every 3,500 miles
    brakes replaced by dealer @ 53,xxx
    tires bfgoodrich Gforce 225/45/ZR17 @ 54,xxx
    Spark plugs replaced @ 55,xxx
    Compresstion test done at 61,xxx
    Tires replaced again @ 61,xxx toyo proxes 4 225/45/zr17 (damn curb)
    new clutch kit @ 62,xxx
    Timing belt kit @62,xxx

Unresolved issues
    My son has kicked the top part of my center counsel and it became unscrewed.
    Pasanger side skirt has fallen off, need to buy some new plastic plugs to reattach it to the underside of the car.
    Trunk key latch clip has slid out, need to locate the clip and put it back on.
    driver's seat rear adjustment leaver heas became unscrewed, I need to slide the plastic cover back on and screw it back on to prevent it from falling off again.
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 08-22-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: update
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - 110K

Radiator: 6K, 90K
    Gearbox output shaft bearing: 30K
    ABS controller: 44K (optional recall by SOA)
    Clutch set: 30K (recall by SOA)
    Front right inner CV joint boot: 110K; replaced outer boot also while axle was apart
    Battery: 50K, 88K
    Battery retainer: 109K due to corrosion
    Brake pads: 95K rear, 109K front
    Tyres: Bridgestone RE92, 40K; Avon M500 205/55/16 75K; Goodyear F1 GS-D3 225/50/16 still on at 110K
    Turbo overflow coolant supply hose clamp: 50K
    Upper, lower radiator hoses: 109K
    Small hose to water pump external connection plus clamps: 109K
    9007 bulbs: 50K, 80K
    Clearance markers within bugeyes shorted and/or burnt since 2004, now left off since then
    Side clearance marker (on wing) burnt out on passenger side at 75K; lens cracked when replacing (due to excellent skills)
    Fog lamp (cracked glass): 20K
    Accessory belts: 90K (noise)
    MAF cleaned due to CEL on two separate occasions; second time was after huge wildfire
    A/C hose, high pressure side, leaking via pinhole since 95K
    Driver's carpet mat retainer clip dislodged repeatedly, since new
    Coolant hose from water pump (the lower small one): 109K
    Inner front axle boot seeping on driver side now. 115K
    Clutch pedal cruise control switch plastic grommet on pedal arm: 116K
    Thermostat housing o-ring: 116K (don't use sealant, just use the factory o-ring style gasket and torque the bolts).
    THermostat housing itself: 119K. Re-used o-ring from 116K. The fitting for the hose on the thermostat housing was pitted and did not seal properly. Had the change the housing itself. New housing working fine so far.

Issues:
    Paint is metallic black swirl since new
    Windscreen washer reservoir cap's retainer snapped
    Driver floor mat torn at anchor point
    Anchor point no longer attaches securely to carpet
    Fabric on rear seats unsuitable for SoCal; faded from sun. Visible when seat belts are moved (tan lines).
    Occasional electric problems -- radio dead for one evening, not repeated, and aux power dead for one drive, not repeated.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-19-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    2006 Impreza WRX TR:

Currently 93xxx miles
    Oil Changed every 4500 miles at the latest
    Spark Plugs: 60k
    Transmission and Rear Diff Oils at 30k, 60k, and this weekend at 93k
    Brake Discs: 60k
    Brake Pads: 60k, 80k, and 90k, 80k was for more track oriented pads, 90k was for even more track oriented pads.
    Brake Fluid: 85k (was overdue on that one)
    Drive Belts: 85k
    Next up: Coolant flush.

Tires replaced at 40k to Khumo Ecsta SPTs, 75k to Falken Ziex ZE912s, 85k to Falken Azenis RT-615s, and at 93k to Falken Ziex ZE502s. Next up are Toyo Proxes R1Rs or Dunlop Direza Star Specs in the spring.

Headlight bulbs replaced once per year. Passenger side ALWAYs goes out before drivers side, warranting complete replacement of bulbs. Currently using H7 Osram Ralleye 65W bulbs.

Issues:
    Clutch is beginning to show signs of wear. Throw out bearing has made noise since 60k, which is a common problem. Will likely be doing a complete clutch job in the spring.

Windshield has allowed air movement since installation. This is my 4th windshield in 5 years, I believe it was installed improperly causing a small crack where air can move. This is a minor sound inconvenience.

Really hates the friggid cold. In sub 20* weather it doesn't enjoy running when not at operating temperature and there is a small amount of gear noise on deceleration, I believe a changing of my gear oil will correct this to some degree. When it's greater than freezing though, it runs and drives beautifully without any issues.

Elective replacement:
    Transmission Mount at 80k

I'd like to note that I'm on year 5 with my WRX with the original battery and all accessories, AC still works beautifully. Car runs like a champ with a stage 1 tune, no major issues what-so-ever, and it is used for occasional SCCA events. No major loss in oil between changes, maybe 1/4 quart at most.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STI - 70K

Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1s - 25K
    Routine maintenance - 30K / 60K
    Falken RT-615s (replace crappy A/S tires from dealership) - 35K
    ACDelco Brake Pads (OE wore out) - 40K
    New license plate lights (OE burnt out) - 45K
    Rust bubbles on roof (no idea on cause, dealership denied claim) - 50K
    New various body panels and four new wheels (accident) - 55K
    Hankook Ventus V12 Evo (RT-615s corded) - 60K
    New windshield (crack) - 60K
    New rear bumper (melted by previous owner near exhaust) - 60K
    A/C drain line replaced with metal pipe (OE melted) - 65K
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX - 61K

Maintenance:
    Oil/Filter Change Every ~4K
    30K Service done myself
    60K Service done myself (except dealer did spark plugs)
    Tire rotation & balance every ~8K
    Coolant change beginning of every summer
    Clean MAF and intake filter (Cobb SF) twice a year

Repairs:
    Seatbelt chirp since I got the car, fixed using tape method
    Battery at ~25K (strange corrosion problem...)
    Leaky connection with an AC line, replaced entire line at ~35K
    License plate bulb out at ~55K
    Defective front O2 sensor threw a CEL, replaced at 41K

Issues:
    Annoying door dings from people who aren't careful or considerate
    It seems like I discover a new rattle every week
    Clutch is sometimes noisy when depressed, probably a bearing... still functions 100%
    Reverse is tricky to shift into sometimes
    The unique wrx pop, pip, blurble, and grumble noises; you know what I mean...
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

I Support ClubWRX
    Just bumping this up with some information:

Changed my gear fluid again at about 94k.

If you have the opportunity to use Amsoil gear oil in your trans, skip it. It's the absolute worst trans fluid I have ever used in any of my vehicles. Going to change it out soon to Subaru fluid.

Amsoil will never see another cent of my money.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

What issues did you see with Amsoil? I prefer Subaru Extra-S. Can't go wrong with it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    What issues did you see with Amsoil? I prefer Subaru Extra-S. Can't go wrong with it.
    Difficulty getting into first across all spectrums of driving unless absolutely stopped, usually I can go into first below 20 MPH if I wish (have only needed that a couple times at autocross) and do so regularly when below 10MPH, but with this fluid and only after changing to it, has it been a problem. Refuses to go into second gear when cold. When warm, second, third, and 4th are notchy, 3rd occasionally grinding. Have to wait a moment to rev match downshift so that the gears have time to slide into place.

It's just bad all around. Extra-S is the fluid I have in mind. Uncle Scottys cocktail was quite good, Subaru fluid just below that, strict Redline just below that, and Amsoil a very far and distant last place.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Difficulty getting into first across all spectrums of driving unless absolutely stopped, usually I can go into first below 20 MPH if I wish (have only needed that a couple times at autocross) and do so regularly when below 10MPH, but with this fluid and only after changing to it, has it been a problem. Refuses to go into second gear when cold. When warm, second, third, and 4th are notchy, 3rd occasionally grinding. Have to wait a moment to rev match downshift so that the gears have time to slide into place.

It's just bad all around. Extra-S is the fluid I have in mind. Uncle Scottys cocktail was quite good, Subaru fluid just below that, strict Redline just below that, and Amsoil a very far and distant last place.
    Does anyone have any opinions about Subaru's extra-S versus Uncle Scotty's Cocktail?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Does anyone have any opinions about Subaru's extra-S versus Uncle Scotty's Cocktail?
    Yes, I have one. I'd prefer a product manufactured under specific guidelines set by the auto maker. Since the auto maker has dealers that support a sizable fleet worldwide at least during the warranty period, such a product has a good chance of working as intended for the specified service interval.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Extra S is great. Absolutely wonderful. Get it.

Also Scotty's cocktail breaks down extremely fast.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah... I figured that the Extra-S would be the better of the 2... I have that in there at the moment and it shifts silky smooth... I've heard good and bad about USC, but didn't know which one to listen too... Which one holds up better under shock and heat?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

2002 WRX Wagon
    144,500 miles as of 5/5/2011

-Oil changes every 3,500 miles at the most
    -New radiator replaced by purchasing dealer @ 117,xxx
    -Front brakes replaced by purchasing dealer @ 117,xxx
    -Passenger side lower control arm replaced at dealers expense @ 117,xxx after two failed alignment attempts. (Les Schwab told me the frame was bent but it was just the lower control arm due to an accident prior to my purchasing it.)
    -Spark plugs (NGK iridium) replaced @ 119,xxx
    -New Excedy clutch/ACT streetlite flywheel/pressure plate/throwout bearing @ 138,xxx (No CELs with the streetlite flywheel)

More details to come. I have all the maintenance I've done on it since purchasing 3/30/2010 with 117,xxx miles on it recorded in a book. I'll post more later.
    Last edited by 2002SubieWRX; 05-06-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    I changed my trans and rear diff fluid with Extra-S last fall. Runs great. It still has the typical difficulties engaging first above 10mph but I hardly ever need to do that anyways. Reverse is still a little difficult at times too. Maybe that's because it has over 144,5xx miles and, to my knowledge, has never been rebuilt.
    - 2013 BRZ Limited, WRB, manual
    - 2002 WRX WRB Sport Wagon (Stage 1) SOLD
    - 1968 Mercury Cougar w/ custom 331ci stroker & 5-spd
    ~Best 1/4 mi ET: 13.00 Video here--> http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t=MVI_0378.mp4
    ~Best 1/4 mi Trap Speed: 109mph

2006 WRX Ltd 99k km

I'll just list "unexpected" maintenance that I've had to do.
    -fuel pump @ ~82k km (51k miles); seems to be common with 06/07 MY
    -Front cv shaft @ 98k km (61 k miles)
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast