02 wrx turbo lagging? shakes @ 60mph n up, CEL going on n off?? WTF?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 wrx turbo lagging? shakes @ 60mph n up, CEL going on n off?? WTF? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got my 02 wrx a few months ago..when I first got it it felt like it wasnt boosting like ...

02 wrx turbo lagging? shakes @ 60mph n up, CEL going on n off?? WTF?

Just got my 02 wrx a few months ago..when I first got it it felt like it wasnt boosting like it should was laggy and wouldnt maintain boosting as i was driving. after a month or so it stopped giving me problems and then another month goes by and it threw me a check engine light. i never got to get it read and the CEL went away eventually..which is REALLY strange to me because Ive owned volkswagens and a CEL is almost always a staple on them and they dont just GO away,and i didnt disconnect the battery or anything. car started lagging again, went off, drove fine, and now I did an oil change and oil filter change a few weeks ago and since then its been lagging again and the CEL came back on, went off for a day, drove about 30 miles, and came back on and has been on since. it also starts shaking after i hit 60 mph but then it stops eventually. Me and my boyfriend know NOTHING about subarus and was wondering if this was a common issue or if anyones had similar issues and what the deal was? the cars got HIGHHH mileage (200xxx) on it and Im pretty sure it had/has all sorts of mods, I dont know whats still on it and whats not, it has STI stickers all over it and two boost gauges. it also has aftermarket switches all over it and a a long rubber tube coming from by my windshield wipers which falls down to the left side of my motor. other than that the car runs amazing and handles like a dream. I really wish I knew the guy who had this car before me because I just want to know whats up with the car and I dont trust a word from the dealership I got it from. So if anyone can give some advice or maybe what they think is up before I can get the code read thatd be awesome. :-D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey,
    I don't think what you are describing is typical of any subaru or hopefully any car. But there is a reason why the other guy sold the car and maybe cause there is something wrong with it.

I'd suggest geting an ODBII scanner (like $30 at Autozone) and you can scan to find out what that code is. But to be honest the CEL usually comes on for some kinda exhaust or intake code (or at least in my experience), are typically the ones that come and go. Anyways, get the code.

I'd take a good look at your car, or have some one who knows WRXs have a look to figure out what exactly has been moded on your car. For the best help on this forum having a list of things that are modded will help.

Saying that it's an old car it could just be worn out and need some major lovin'. Have you taken it back to the dealer and had them drive it? Was it a Subaru dealership?

The CEL is now off, im still going to bring it to get the codes, hopefully they are stored still since i never cleared them? I bought it from a Subaru dealership and Ive been trying to figure out who the owner before me was because my car has a clubwrx.net sticker on it and ive been stalking people on here all day to ttry and figure out who had it..He was the only owner and traded it in for a new Legacy.. I havent bought it back to the guys at Subaru but I bought it as is no warranty for REALLLY cheap so I dont expect them to do much for me. This car was kinda just to get me by for the time being but ive really grown to love it aside from these issues. I know that my exhaust is not stock the tip of the muffler says its some brand wrex or something and I was told by one of my guy friends that something else about it is different?? I have no idea..I also know that the turbo says IHI on it and from what Im reading that indicates its the STI turbo? Im going to get the codes then do some more searching I just wasnt sure if Subarus had any stupid quirks that Im used to with my Volkswagen.. thank you and once I get the codes ill post them up and see what you guys have to say Totally new to the subaru game & feel helpless haha

With the CEL off I don't think you'll find the codes. If the light comes on and off a lot investing in an ODBII scanner is worth it. I have this exact model and it's more then enough: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2420860

From what you have described your car probably has lots done to it. People love to mod WRXs since there are some many mods and cheap. But what is hard for 2nd buyers is you can end up with some one elses mess. I looked for over a month trying to find a non modded one, and I eventually bought mine since it was only the exhaust and wheels done.

Anyways, the boost gauge is a good indication that the previous owner was tinker with it under the hood. Hopefully he hasn't pushed the turbo (even it's a replacement) to far.

I wonder if carfax will be able to tell you who the previous owner was??? I can't think of any other way. Or maybe take a picture and just post it saying what city you live in and just ask! The guy might respond!!! lol. Or go to a local meet up you might run into him/her.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.