Replacing Air Injection valves on an 06

This is a discussion on Replacing Air Injection valves on an 06 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there some mystical tool I seem to be missing? I'm on the last bolt the air injection tube and ...

Replacing Air Injection valves on an 06

Is there some mystical tool I seem to be missing? I'm on the last bolt the air injection tube and I just can't get to it. I have the intake loose but not off. I really would hate to call it and put it all back together after all this work. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmm Personally I have never replaced them with the intake manifold on so I wouldnt know, however the advice I will give is remove the manifold...

I think I will yank the intake off tomorrow. Thanks.

Took your advice and yanked the intake off. I should have probably done this from the get go as it would have saved me a day. While I haven't gone on a long drive yet, it seems to be running well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    Took your advice and yanked the intake off. I should have probably done this from the get go as it would have saved me a day. While I haven't gone on a long drive yet, it seems to be running well enough.
    Good to hear, I have done a few of them, I dont want to say its a common problem however I do see quite a few of them go bad, a lot on the Forester XT's..

When I took all 3 bits off, they all had water in them. I was able to find a full kit with low millage for roughly the cost of 1 valve. I'm hoping it's the last time i have to change them.

Update, need help Airpump issue

So after 2 days of replacing airpump and valves, I'm back where I started. Code 0410.

The valves were toast and needed to be replaced as I was also getting valve stuck open on both. I can hear them opening and closing again. What isn't working is the air pump and this is supposedly a good second hand air pump off a car with about 20k on it. It spins freely but doens't turn on when the valves are open. So what's left, wiring? ECU?

Ok, i think i have some good news. I confirmed that the new pump turned over free and wasn't locked up. I also confirmed that the old pump was seized solid. With that information, I think I figured out what to check for next, a fuse. Sure enough, there's a 60amp and it's blown. I'll get a new one tomorrow and I should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by zore View Post
    Ok, i think i have some good news. I confirmed that the new pump turned over free and wasn't locked up. I also confirmed that the old pump was seized solid. With that information, I think I figured out what to check for next, a fuse. Sure enough, there's a 60amp and it's blown. I'll get a new one tomorrow and I should be good to go.
    Which fuse was blown? I have been in situations like this before and have learned from my mistakes, now one of my first checks is always the fuses, interior and exterior, electrical problems can be unbearable to track down sometimes, so obviously the easiest place to check first is the fuse... I hope the valves were actually bad though...that would make sense the fuse was blown though, the air pump motor tries harder and harder to turn thus causing more of a draw, and pops the fuse...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Which fuse was blown? I have been in situations like this before and have learned from my mistakes, now one of my first checks is always the fuses, interior and exterior, electrical problems can be unbearable to track down sometimes, so obviously the easiest place to check first is the fuse... I hope the valves were actually bad though...that would make sense the fuse was blown though, the air pump motor tries harder and harder to turn thus causing more of a draw, and pops the fuse...

The 60amp FLF for the air injection motor. Since the old one was seized solid, i figure that did it.