Problem starting impreza?

This is a discussion on Problem starting impreza? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an issue starting my 03 impreza!! It will not start always as I would like , sometimes I ...

Problem starting impreza?

I have an issue starting my 03 impreza!! It will not start always as I would like , sometimes I try to start the engine and I only hear the click sound on the starter, try a couple of times click , click and It starts, other times it is a ..PITA to start. I already checked my battery .. OK , both poles are tight, cleaned & polished... OK, starter wires are as tight as they could get... OK Sooo what should I do next??? Take out my starter?? or starter circuit resistor or whaterver name,the one located up side next to the starter motor?? Does anyone has experienced this problem??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Contacts in your starter are wearing out, almost guaranteed 100%. Time for a new starter. Sometimes it helps if you have someone hit it while you're trying to start it, but that will only work for a while.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I agree about replacing the starter. The contacts the member above was referring to is the starter solenoid. That's the clicking you hear, but the contacts aren't fully closing to supply the "big power" to the starter motor. The starter/solenoid is an all-in-one package, so you have to replace both.

I'd like to see someone reach up and try to smack the starter on a WRX/STi. It's right under the TMIC and access is difficult. Maybe it's possible, but I've never tried it.

EDIT: Being that you may have the Impreza (non-turbo), then access may be a lot easier. The smack technique may prove beneficial.

How old is the battery? If it is over 5 years I put my money on a bad battery. You can have it tested at the car part store.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.