wiring problem

This is a discussion on wiring problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just did a engine swap on my 02 wrx. everyting is hooked up. all the wires plugged up. i'm ...

wiring problem

i just did a engine swap on my 02 wrx. everyting is hooked up. all the wires plugged up. i'm having two problems.

first problem is this when both ports on the battery are plugged up the fans come on and stay on. they turn off when i go to start the car.

second problem is the car won't turn over. it doesn't even try. i'm no expert but this seems backwards. i've been wracking my brain and looking over my wiring setup and still can't find a thing. any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

batt. volts? check wires with a wire diagram, id start at the fan wires and colors.
    2002 plat. silver wrx

battery is brand new optima yellow top. 12v. tested. checked wiring diagram already and wires. i even went through each one unpluging them to see if any would make the fans stop. nothing

I Support ClubWRX
    Are the diagnostic plugs under the steering column plugged into each other? If so, unplug them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i'm sure they are cause i didn't touch them thoughout the entire swap. i like to know the whys behind the whats so i gotta ask why unplug them?

I Support ClubWRX
    Because if you plug them together, the car thinks you are going to perform diagnostics. One thing it will do in that case is cycle the fans. Check the plugs and make sure they are not plugged together.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

okay i'll check them. after i get the car going i assume i plug them back together?

I Support ClubWRX
    No. You leave them unplugged.

okay another question. why would they be plugged together in the first place?

I Support ClubWRX
    Someone would have had to do so, probably to run diagnostics. If you have not, then this is not your problem.

Are all the grounds good? I had close to the same problem and it ended up being a ground.

a ground it was. i had a ground plugged into the positive terminal of the battery. thanks for ya'll for the help