Longest battery life?

This is a discussion on Longest battery life? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What's the longest I can expect to get out of the original Subaru battery? I've had it in since I ...

Longest battery life?

What's the longest I can expect to get out of the original Subaru battery? I've had it in since I bought my WRX brand new 5 years ago and it's still running solid. Is it nearing the end of its lifespan?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Test the electrolyte if you're curious.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

4 to 5 years is about the lifespan of a battery. Have it tested. There is nothing worse then getting into your car ready to go and hear a click click click. Especially if you have something important to do.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

That's exactly what I want to avoid, especially with the winter season around the corner.

How or where do I test the electrolyte?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    That's exactly what I want to avoid, especially with the winter season around the corner.

Just replace it. 5 years is quite good.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Every battery in my suby lasted a yr and half..... I've had everything tested multiply times..... Even if they go I replace my parents and relatives car every 3 yrs.... It's cheaper then getting stuck...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post

You can buy a hydrometer specifically intended to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte (the sulfuric acid solution). Or you can buy a new battery.

I'd do the latter frankly. By the time you test, service, and finish worrying about a 5-yr-old battery, it's not worth it.

The longest I've had a battery last is about a decade, but it was in the nose of a mid-engined car, so it saw no heat from the motor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My subbie still has the original battery in it and still works great... I've had it tested and still is perfectly fine... mine was built in april of 06, so 4 years and 6 months later its still going strong...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Still on the original as well after 5 years.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

my oem from my 02 lasted over 7 years even through montana/alaska winters
    02redwagone on Nasioc

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They will test it for you at advanced etc.

When mine finally died I just push started it and drove to the store where they replaced it for me.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

If you don't have extreme weather/temps to worry about, your 5-yr old battery could last awhile longer. In my experience, however, a sudden onset of winter temps (or high summer temps) will expose the weaknesses of an old battery just when it is the biggest PITA to replace.

So...if you need absolute dependability and you drive in extreme weather, buy a new battery now and save yourself the hassle of replacing it later.