**** PERRY SUBARU

This is a discussion on **** PERRY SUBARU within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In comparison is the VF52 better than the TD04? The dealership is working with my insurance company to fix my ...

**** PERRY SUBARU

In comparison is the VF52 better than the TD04? The dealership is working with my insurance company to fix my 09' WRX and they put a 08 motor in my 09. Im pretty pissed because thats not what i paid $25000 for. Does anyone know more about this? Do i have a reason to complain and at least make them put a VF52 in there. I hear the only difference in the motors is the turbo so thats all they would have to change. Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Raise some hell and get yourself the engine you paid $25k for. That's ridiculous. You 100% need to get a vf52 in there. What's the background on this?
    2010 WRX (SWP)
    Cobb Stage 1 - Perrin SS

Agreed...that's absolutely ludicros.

Tell them to return your vehicle to its original specifications. There is no excuse for this.
    ~ADAM
    70 El Camino SS clone
    2011 WRX Sedan in Satin White Cobb Stage 1+AEM Cold Air Intake
    Click here for my Progress Thread
    Installing HellaSupertones? Click here.
    N.E.R.D. #4
    Devout Practicalist

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this legal within the context of your state's smog laws? In mine, far as I can work out, it is not. Might be something to search.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

first of all, why is your insurance company paying to replace your motor?

second, i work as an auto damage estimator for a large national insurance company. our guidelines are very strict in what kind of used parts we can and cannot use as replacements. for mechanical parts like a motor, WE ARE REQUIRED to use parts from the same model year as the damaged vehicle or newer. i dont know if the laws in virginia are different, but those are our guidelines nation wide. there have been instances in my experience where we have made acceptions. for example, a 2004 chevy silverado that needed a new motor, with the customer's permission and a signed release, we used a motor from a 2003 that had significantly less than typical miles. the other option was to total the car.

in your situation, there is NO WAY that it is legal for your insurance company to force your to use a motor that doesnt match the exact specifications of the damaged motor they are replacing.

i would start by calling your state department of insurance to cover your bases, and then i would call your insurance company and raise such a crazy amount of hell with them that they wont have any other choice

sorry man, being mistreated by an insurance company really pisses me off because it makes my customers not trust me right off the bat. NOT FAIR
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Is this legal within the context of your state's smog laws? In mine, far as I can work out, it is not. Might be something to search.
    If you want to register a car in california, you have to have numbers matching everything to be cleared. Unless its a old car thats out of smog range. Then numbers matching doesn't matter.
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's the same motor....

If all they are doing is replacing the motor then your other stock parts aren't being replaced with '08 ones.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crb03 View Post
    If you want to register a car in california, you have to have numbers matching everything to be cleared. Unless its a old car thats out of smog range. Then numbers matching doesn't matter.
    When replacing any smog components, the replacement must either meet or exceed the specifications of what was removed. You cannot go backwards in years with smog components.

The turbo is an emissions component.

If the ancillaries are left intact the point is moot, as the motors do not differ. The remaining components, if replaced, must be either the same spec or newer etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    When replacing any smog components, the replacement must either meet or exceed the specifications of what was removed. You cannot go backwards in years with smog components.

The turbo is an emissions component.

If the ancillaries are left intact the point is moot, as the motors do not differ. The remaining components, if replaced, must be either the same spec or newer etc.
    +1

Thanks for all the feedback I'm not too sure what to do I just got off the phone with my insurance company and in my "policy" it claims to say "like motor" sorry but there's a big difference from the 08 to the 09 but yea I still have some investigation to do'. The story behind this is I was a dumbass took I through some water and it ruined the whole motor. I took it to the dealership my insurance agreed to and they bad it for a week still tryin to figure out what was wrong with. I get a phone sayin the motor is done but we can do is stick a motor coming from another totaled Subaru. I said ok I'm cool with that my car had 30000 miles on it this one has 34,000 on it and I was cool with that. They call me and tell me my car is ready after three weeks with no car. I get in it seemed fine. They installed a new clutch, flywheel, and throwing bearings so I took it easy after an hour or so of around town driving the check engine light came on and my cruise control was blinking. I forgot to share that when I picked my car up after they had it for three week they didn't wash it and left a quarter size ding in my hood. But yea I bring I back to the shop the next day he hooks up the computer to it and it's the o2 sensor then after talking to the tech I find out I have 08 and 09 parts in my car so yea **** my life!

And who says the American education system is in trouble? Enough grammar and punctuation errors to waste a red pen in one pass.

Sorry for your luck, but that was painful to read.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If the turbo was replaced with a TD04, you have a problem. If the turbo was NOT replaced, you don't. The stock tune for 08 WRX's and 09 WRX's are very different due to the fact that they have different turbos. It will NOT work correctly if there is a TD04 installed in an 09 WRX that is otherwise stock.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    DID THEY REPLACE THE TURBO OR JUST THE HYROLOCKED ENGINE?

Sorry for the yelling it's just not clear.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I've had questionable dealings with Perry very recently where in a tech that used to work there (they've fired him for poor work performance) left my engine splash shield off the car during its last oil change visit (how the hell does one miss replacing a 4' wide part??) .. I sent a really nasty email to Rich and he got me squared away. Have you spoken to him? Have you spoken to SOA? .. They need to be aware if you haven't alerted to this... however, since you ok'd a used engine.. you may not have much to stand on. Sucks, but if they're going to roll on you that would be the only place they could do it.

How do you know other than the Tech's word that the engine is out of a 08? Do you have the block numbers to cross reference? Have you verified that the turbo/computer are different? If you're going to push this issue you'll need that proof.

As others have stated, the blocks/internals are exactly the same between 08-10 .. its only the turbo and management that changed so if your original turbo/management are still there you've not lost anything.

and why man, why did you ok a used engine? .. the chance at a new mill on isn companies bill would have made me drool all over the place.

its a little off topic but where did you swamp it?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!