IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car runs good . Guy that sold it to me said CEL was on due to a bad o2 sensor. ...

Car runs good . Guy that sold it to me said CEL was on due to a bad o2 sensor. I got two codes with the reader though, p0171 and p0304.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any CEL is likely going to bring about a rejection, I know it does in my area. I couldn't imagine CA being less strict on that issue.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I think that any CEL engine code will cause a failed inspection. May depend on the locality you're in, though.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Hi guys,

I'm Hoping at least some of you still keep up with this thread. I have an 05 STI (COBB AP, COBB SF Intake, Turbo-back exhaust) , had my plugs changed recently. the other day while entering the highway as soon as I passed 12psi of boost the car started bugging and the CEL started flashing. MY access port displayed "P301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected", "PFFF", "PFFE".

What has me puzzled is the fact that the car only misfires after I go over 11psi. it idles fine, and it runs fine even at high RPMs (as long as I dont pass the 11psi mark).

Please advise....???? thank you in advance..

Check out my post. Sounds like what happened to me.

Swap the coil packs and see if the code moves. Good thing its on the side thats easier to work on

Quote Originally Posted by wrxca View Post

Swap the coil packs and see if the code moves. Good thing its on the side thats easier to work on
    ill do that today. thank you.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jcolomde View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm Hoping at least some of you still keep up with this thread. I have an 05 STI (COBB AP, COBB SF Intake, Turbo-back exhaust) , had my plugs changed recently. the other day while entering the highway as soon as I passed 12psi of boost the car started bugging and the CEL started flashing. MY access port displayed "P301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected", "PFFF", "PFFE".

What has me puzzled is the fact that the car only misfires after I go over 11psi. it idles fine, and it runs fine even at high RPMs (as long as I dont pass the 11psi mark).

Please advise....???? thank you in advance..
    Did you gap your plugs correctly and according to the Service manual?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Did you gap your plugs correctly and according to the Service manual?
    I didn't do it.. :/

swapped coil packs and the code moved! now Im trying to find a place that sells the coil pack with the least price margin.. thanks for your advise!

Hey All, wanted to share my experience.

My issue with Cyl 1 misfire started one morning out of the blue. My 2006 WRX (Stage 2 Cobb Access Port II OTS MAP) has over 150,000KM on it. It happened as I was merging onto the highway and I was pushing the car pretty hard on 4th gear. All of a sudden I could feel loss of power and the car was not running right. Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing. I limped her home.

Cobb Access port reported:
    P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire detected)
    PFFFF
    PFFFE

I reset the ECU using the access port and then swapped the Cyl 1 & Cyl 3 coilpacks.
    Started up the car and no check engine lights but the car was still running rough.
    I checked the troubleshooting menu and selected to read error codes and it reported Cyl 3 misfire (P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire detected).
    Shortly after the Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing again.
    I was happy to see an indication that it was the coil pack. I am going to be meeting up with someone in the next couple hours to buy a used coil pack.

Just goes to show you that a coilpack which never appeared to act up before can just completely fail, and it can happen under load and lead you to think that something far worse went wrong. It was interesting that the coilpack went from never reporting an issue to completely dead. I took off the boot, checked the spring, stretched it a little and put some dielectric grease on both ends, just to see if it was a simple case of poor electrical conductivity but no dice, it was toast.

Don't give up, check out as much as possible on your own before you take it to a mechanic or dealership. Donkey has provided a great sticky (Thanks !) to help you narrow things down.

Cheers and best of luck,
    wrxca
    I had a similar experience with my 02 WRX. During acceleration I would get a slight stutter and eventually a CEL with codes of misfires on 1 and 3. Took it to the dealership (after having it looked at by others) and they flashed the ECU. All has been well since.

My #2 misfire seems to be a bad connection to the coil. It happend, I disconnect and reconnect the connector and it's fine for months. I will need to do something real eventually..
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I put Permatex dielectric grease inside all the boots and also on all the connector pins. It kind of makes up for loose connections.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

Here is my take on the misfire issuse anyone has happen to them, like myself. First off, Donkey's list is the written word to trouble shoot this problem. Now I bounced around that list and that's ok. But I recommend doing the compression test first. This may save you alot of money that could be used for other parts needed. Find out first if you have good compression in all cyclinder's before listening to friends and old owners of what might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Apparently it has to do with the crank's rotation speed and how the ECU interprets it via the crank sensor.
    is this something that can be tuned for? i'm thinking it's teh cause of my misfires at this point.

anyone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.