IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Lionheart153 is the MAF trick doable on the 2011 wrx model? Im getting a misfire code on ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart153 View Post
    is the MAF trick doable on the 2011 wrx model? Im getting a misfire code on all cylinders and I feel like when I idle the car feels like its shaking. I get the feeling the ECU or something might be mis-reading the air flow or something.
    MAF trick? You mean cleaning the MAF sensor? You can clean any MAF sensor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just started chasing a P0302 with the bouncing motor on my '02 with 8x,xxx miles with a stock motor and Cobb AP Stage 1 map.

A year or more ago I got the P0302 and swapped #2 & #4 coil packs. Code went away.

This time, to start, I'll put new plugs in and swap the coil packs around and see what happens.

Does that sound like a good start?

PS, I also had a P0171 a couple weeks ago that seemed to go away with MAF cleaning and some post-MAF intake tube clamp tightening.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller2002 View Post
    I just started chasing a P0302 with the bouncing motor on my '02 with 8x,xxx miles with a stock motor and Cobb AP Stage 1 map.

A year or more ago I got the P0302 and swapped #2 & #4 coil packs. Code went away.

This time, to start, I'll put new plugs in and swap the coil packs around and see what happens.

Does that sound like a good start?

PS, I also had a P0171 a couple weeks ago that seemed to go away with MAF cleaning and some post-MAF intake tube clamp tightening.
    OK, new plugs, swapped coil packs around, but now I have 2 misfire codes. And, they didn;t follow the original #2 pack...Ugh.

ugh, originally a P0302, now P0303 and P0301
    New plugs, new fuel filter, swapped coils as follows:
    #2 to #1
    #4 to #2
    #1 to #4
    #3 stayed put

And, it's not just a code since the engine runs bad like a misfire. How are the misfire codes detected by the ECU? Just a sensor for vibration, or is it some electrical test of each cylinder? In other words, how does it determine which cylinder to flag?

Is there a way to probe the connectors? I hate to throw $$ at parts.
    Would a dealer/shop have any special tools that would make it worth the expense? or, would they just throw parts at it too?

Thanks y'all for the time and advice.

Thanks
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Thanks for the comments and info.

I swapped coils from driver's side to passenger and still got the same P0301 and P0303 codes with rough running.

I'll try an easy reset and drive it a bit and see if it's consistently the same codes and running. I may also recheck my plug gaps.

Is there a safe way to check the harness at the coil pack connector?

Thanks
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I Support ClubWRX
    You can easily check the connectors with a multimeter or test light but you are on the wrong trail. I highly doubt the issue is power to the coils since the car is actually running. Even missing 1 cylinder would be extremely obvious.
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-17-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    You can easily check the connectors with a multimeter or test light but you are on the wrong trail. I highly doubt the issue is power to the coils since the car is actually running. Even missing 1 cylinder would be extremely obvious.
    Thanks for the input, but as posted earlier, it is actually running BAD, it's not just a code with no symptoms...
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the input, but as posted earlier, it is actually running BAD, it's not just a code with no symptoms...
    Here's what I would do: Start your own thread, do some data logging, and post your data logs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yes please don't post your particular issues in a general thread like this. Start your own thread.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Here's what I would do: Start your own thread, do some data logging, and post your data logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Yes please don't post your particular issues in a general thread like this. Start your own thread.

Sorry to dilute the thread, I saw 4 pages of various discussion...

Hopefully in my new thread I won't get a complaint about redundant posts ;-/

Is it allowable to copy my previous posts background here into my new post??

Best Regards
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the list I made and go from easy to hard............
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok so heres my problem i switch my coil packs for goth side making the back to the front and the front to the back. after i did that my car just starts then shuts off... any ideas much help will be apperciated.

Hey All, wanted to share my experience.

My issue with Cyl 1 misfire started one morning out of the blue. My 2006 WRX (Stage 2 Cobb Access Port II OTS MAP) has over 150,000KM on it. It happened as I was merging onto the highway and I was pushing the car pretty hard on 4th gear. All of a sudden I could feel loss of power and the car was not running right. Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing. I limped her home.

Cobb Access port reported:
    P0301 (Cylinder 1 misfire detected)
    PFFFF
    PFFFE

I reset the ECU using the access port and then swapped the Cyl 1 & Cyl 3 coilpacks.
    Started up the car and no check engine lights but the car was still running rough.
    I checked the troubleshooting menu and selected to read error codes and it reported Cyl 3 misfire (P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire detected).
    Shortly after the Check Engine light came on and the Cruise Control light was flashing again.
    I was happy to see an indication that it was the coil pack. I am going to be meeting up with someone in the next couple hours to buy a used coil pack.

Just goes to show you that a coilpack which never appeared to act up before can just completely fail, and it can happen under load and lead you to think that something far worse went wrong. It was interesting that the coilpack went from never reporting an issue to completely dead. I took off the boot, checked the spring, stretched it a little and put some dielectric grease on both ends, just to see if it was a simple case of poor electrical conductivity but no dice, it was toast.

Don't give up, check out as much as possible on your own before you take it to a mechanic or dealership. Donkey has provided a great sticky (Thanks !) to help you narrow things down.

Cheers and best of luck,
    wrxca
    Last edited by wrxca; 02-19-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Im pretty sure mine's origination was an intermittent connection in the wire harness to the 2 & 4 coils. All the switching masked the base issue. Messing with the harness made the connection good for a while.
    '02 WRX Wagon
    RCE wagon springs
    Koni inserts
    Com-C Top Mounts
    Kartboy Endlinks
    Sedan rear swaybar
    Others little stuff

Hey guys I got a misfire on cylinder 4 code and I was wondering if this would affect the smog? I wanna smog my car so I can get the title and insurance before I start working on the car.

Is the car running rough? Might have unburned fuel passing through which may affect your smog test?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast