IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK, so after a long hard drive to campus and after class I turned the car on it looks like ...

OK, so after a long hard drive to campus and after class I turned the car on it looks like the CEL turned off on its own. I'm guessing that is a good thing, but as I put in the diagnosis computer the code (P0304)was still there except for the CEL.

What does this mean? and does it come off after a few more miles?

Thanks in advance.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

grounding turned out to be the issue

I was having problems with my 02 WRX and cyl 3 misfiring. After replacing the spark plugs and running injector cleaner through the system a few times with no positive results, I was about to drop hundreds on new coil packs when I noticed a post about the engine grounding. $5.00 and 1 hour later I had installed a #6 ground wire, which grounded the engine in about 5 additional places. And SNAP!!! the car immediately was running noticeably smoother and I haven't had any other problems with the cylinder misfire. I urge anyone having the Cyl Misfire problem to try this inexpensive, simple modification.

Ash,
    From where to where did you install the ground wire? Is it possible to post a pic of the new wire for better reference? Thanks.
    Jorge F.
    Auto Concept Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Ash02WRX View Post
    I was having problems with my 02 WRX and cyl 3 misfiring. After replacing the spark plugs and running injector cleaner through the system a few times with no positive results, I was about to drop hundreds on new coil packs when I noticed a post about the engine grounding. $5.00 and 1 hour later I had installed a #6 ground wire, which grounded the engine in about 5 additional places. And SNAP!!! the car immediately was running noticeably smoother and I haven't had any other problems with the cylinder misfire. I urge anyone having the Cyl Misfire problem to try this inexpensive, simple modification.
    yeah same here. ... any pics
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

Just to reiterate. I've worked on lots of cars old and new and weird things happen. Example:

I have a 2004 wrx all stock except for the resonator box was removed. Sounds kinda nice

I was driving and the CEL came on. Ran the code P0301 cylinder 1 misfire. I started with the plugs and all of them were fine. I replaced them anyway because it was cheap. Then I switched the coil packs from 1 to 3. Nothing changed. Still pulled the same code. Then I checked the wires. All were fine. Then I ran a fuel injector through 2 tanks of premium gas. Finally my buddy said to pull the MAF plug while it idles and see if it improves. Guess what...

So I cleaned off the MAF and it runs fine. Just because it says P0301 doesn't necessarily mean that's the issue. That's just the first place the computer detected a problem so I had to go "further upstream."

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother lifting up the hood but there's always something new to learn.

Anyway, don't get tunnel vision like I did and if you submit something to the forum, give as much info as possible because it wasn't until I stopped thinking about the plugs (which were totally clean anyway) and considered that only the idle was rough. I never experienced a loss of power. Be thorough and provide details. Cheers

My 02 Wagon is wigging out. It's got the cobb access port, turbo back exhaust, sti up-pipe. Bought it from a good home with all proper maintenance records. It ran great for a month after I bought it. I recently put new headlight bulbs in it. Had to disconnect the battery and the stock intake tube that opens above the radiator. Afew days after it started to misfire. Running terribly rich with misfire codes/CEL. Replaced the o2 sensor. CEL went away. Ran great on the test drive but started misfiring again on the way back to the shop. Checked records, the fuel injection hose was replaced in 07 (because of the fuel smell in the cold), as well as spark plugs and fuel filter. In 08 the MAF was cleaned. Is it due for a cleaning again already?? I'm going to check all of my ground wires and make sure the intake piece is sealed properly. Though I thought I put everything back in place after the bulb switch. I'm going to run down the checklist on this thread, but does anybody have any thoughts? I'm scared.

edit- it's not reading any codes but there's white smoke coming from engine compartment??
    Last edited by bn_bnntt; 01-09-2011 at 06:09 AM.

I had a 2006 WRX TR that I was getting misfires on all four cylinders. The dealer said it was because I installed a K&N air filter and it snapped the tabs holding the air box together causing a vacuum leak. Evidently the K&N's are too tight a fit for the airbox. Just thought it's another thing you could check.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Lightnin' View Post
    I had a 2006 WRX TR that I was getting misfires on all four cylinders. The dealer said it was because I installed a K&N air filter and it snapped the tabs holding the air box together causing a vacuum leak. Evidently the K&N's are too tight a fit for the airbox. Just thought it's another thing you could check.
    Considering there's no vacuum plumbing before the MAF, I don't see how that could haver caused a vacuum leak...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

They said it was getting to much air and the engine was over compensating causing the misfire. Sometimes I wonder if the dealers even know what their talking about. My car got totaled before I was able to resolve the problem.

My 02 ran great but then my CEL came on and registered 2 misfires. It still ran just fine but I thought I would change the plugs anyway. After changing all the plugs, I took it for a test drive. As soon as I gave it full throttle, the CEL came back on and the car would start jerking as if I was repeatedly pressing and depressing the throttle. I didn't use the plugs you stated before, but could that affect the power output that much?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. If the plug gap is wrong,the coil pack not seated properly or the harness for the coil packs were switched. What plug exactly did you use?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes. If the plug gap is wrong,the coil pack not seated properly or the harness for the coil packs were switched. What plug exactly did you use?
    I used NGK plugs, but they weren't iridium. Could that cause a power loss? I just used what Canadian Tire refered me which was not a smart decision in hindsight. I'm going to run through your check list as soon as I can also.

Cleaned the MAF and runs like a champ again. I'm still getting a misfire but i'm much happier now. I think I just need to get the iridium plugs and actually gap them to specs. Thanks a billion.

how do you use BG Chemtool n Gm top end cleaner? and how do you check the valve clearence?

OK my stock 04' WRX 145k miles has a P0304, and after buying the spark plugs, coil packs,cleaning MAF, and one bottle of injector cleaner still code. So a month later(today) I did a compression test......

Engine was Cold, results were: 150,150, 151, 149

Is this a good thing?? and if so what should I do next by the injectors or 02 sensor.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast