My Trunk is Leaking!

This is a discussion on My Trunk is Leaking! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I thought I would share an interesting experience I had. I woke up a few weeks ago to ...

My Trunk is Leaking!

Hi all, I thought I would share an interesting experience I had. I woke up a few weeks ago to go to class and as I was driving away, I heard a sloshing sound coming from the back of my car.

I opened the trunk to see what the noise was, and noticed a large wet patch on the carpet. Then, I opened the spare tire compartment, I was shocked to see about 4 inches of water around my spare tire! I pulled out the spare and let the water drain through the screw hole. I found more water in the scissor jack compartment as well as the cavity behind the trunk liner on the right side. I had to get all that water out with a sponge... PITA!

Then... it happened again, and again. Yesterday, I finally had time to look for the problem. Initially, I suspected the weather stripping around the trunk, but it was good.

I then unscrewed the spoiler and found the problem. There are six holes in the trunk lid of an 02 wrx. Four for bolts to secure it down and two more for cables that attach the spoiler to the trunk hinge, just in case you spoiler flies off. There is supposed to be as seal the goes around the cable and fits in the hole. It was gone.

I assume that when my car was repainted a few months ago, the guy who took it apart lost that seal.

I MacGyvered a makeshift seal out of one of my floor mats (no one will notice)

Eventually I'll fix it right.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I never took my WRX spoiler off, but when I installed a stock spoiler on my Grand Am it required a gasket kit. The gasket was basically double sided tape in the shape of the spoiler mounting area.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    I never took my WRX spoiler off, but when I installed a stock spoiler on my Grand Am it required a gasket kit. The gasket was basically double sided tape in the shape of the spoiler mounting area.
    I never thought about sticky tape. I doubt i'll ever take the spoiler off again, but would it leave a residue on the paint?

There is some sort of gasket that goes around the entire base of the spoiler mount, but there seems to be an intentional gap in it. I only say intentional because it is the exact same on both sides and does not look torn.

I still maintain my problem is the seal I was talking about. I'll have to wait until it rains again to see if I fixed it. I'm in SW Virginia and it's been raining a lot lately, hence the copious amount of water in my trunk

Who cares if it'll leave a residue on the paint? That would only be an issue if someone desired to go spoilerless in the future, and they'd have to have the holes sealed/repainted anyway.

Did you pay someone repaint your car? If so I'd go back to them, and make mount your spoiler with the correct equipment.

if your car has clear coat on it, which im pretty sure it does, you dont have to worry about double sided tape or and adhesive leaving any residue. it can be removed with mineral spirits or some other strong solvent without damaging the clear coat/paint
    Last edited by dbya rx; 10-28-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

^^ That's a good point. The badging came off my rex easy enough

Who cares if it'll leave a residue on the paint? That would only be an issue if someone desired to go spoilerless in the future, and they'd have to have the holes sealed/repainted anyway.
    Good point, I guess it's not really a big deal. I might give that a try if what I have doesn't work.

Did you pay someone repaint your car? If so I'd go back to them, and make mount your spoiler with the correct equipment.
    yea, I had east valley auto in Kent, WA paint my car. Since then I have moved to Virginia. It would be a lot of trouble for a minor problem. No sense crying over spilled milk.

That's a pretty big oversight for such a highly reviewed (although several 5* reviews where placed on the same day) Subaru autobody/repair shop like that, but you're right, it would be hard to make them own up to this mistake with such distance between you and them.

If you do end up looking for the gasket kit, any Subaru dealer or Autobody shop will be able to order it.
    It shouldn't be any more than about $30.
    If there is any factory gasket material left on the spoiler make sure to clean that off before installing the new one.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 10-28-2010 at 01:21 PM.

had the same issue. i pulled the spoiler and figured it was the gaskets, called subaru and he the guy had nothing for me. he showed me his computer when i went in and he really didn't have anything for the wrx spoiler.

THE LEAK TURNED OUT TO BE FROM THE TAIL LIGHT gasket/seal. I replaced that and haven't had a problem since. I had put duck tape over the holes on the trunk and was going to ditch the spoiler buuuut the duck tape is ugly and unlesss i can swap it for a wingless trunk, imma just keep the spoiler on. I used silicone thats used for doors and windows and put a bead around the holes and put the spoiler back on, loooks good and should work like a charm

seriously, pull your tails and check out the seals