Trans. or diff.? HELP!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trans. or diff.? HELP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 03 wrx which i bought for my wife started making noise after @ 15 minutes driving at highway speed ...

Trans. or diff.? HELP!

My 03 wrx which i bought for my wife started making noise after @ 15 minutes driving at highway speed i've looked through a few threads and i'm just wondering if its most likely trans. or rear diff.? the noise dosen't change w/ throttle position, only speed. I'm leaning tward trans. but hoping for a diff.(hope for the best but plan for the worst). from what i can gather a trans. build will cost @ 4-5K if i have to do it i'm gonna pull the trans my self and take it to the guys at andrew tech, @ a 6hr ride. i don't see the point in doin it more than once. But, if its the diff. where can i get a decent rebuild kit, again i dont want to have to do it again if i can halp it. i have some mechanics that i'm more than confident can handle that. i really appreciate all the help i can get. i hope my final #'s to be @600 at the flywheel.
    Last edited by 03silverwrx; 10-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Umm...we can't hear the noise, so we couldn't tell you what it is. Vid clips perhaps?

And you're hoping for 600 what to the flywheel???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03silverwrx View Post
    i hope my final #'s to be @600 at the flywheel.
    I hope you have about $50K to throw at this car!

Seriously, 600 chp will be about 450 whp. On a bugeye, you'll have a hard time. If you want #s, you bought the wrong car.

So let me get this right, you buy a car, you hear a noise, you assume it's the tranny, and you just want to dump $4K into a rebuild without any confirmation ... I guess it's your car...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I know i'm not gonna throw down huge #'s i want over night. one step at a time, prob @ 3 yrs till i'm fairly satisfied, and yea @600 at the fly wheel is what i'm lookin for. 450 to the wheels should shut up the good ol stang guys runnin around here. but i'll try to get a vid clip asap w\ the noise it's just a constant roar / howl that gets louder w\ speed. definately gonna have my guys check it out b4 i go throwing cash around, just thaught i'd see if any body has had similar issues, and get some opinions

how about a wheel bearing? seems like you are just looking for a reason to drop 5k into a trans.
    '04 Aspen White WRX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Personally, I would sell the WRX and buy an iron-block EVO if you want big numbers. It will cost less and be less of a headache in the long run.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I wanted a bug eye when they first came out and finally got one i guess i should have done a little more research b4 throwin up my wishful #'s around in the end i just want the bug eye every one fears. i always thaught wheel berings would change pitch in a curve

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen700 View Post
    how about a wheel bearing? seems like you are just looking for a reason to drop 5k into a trans.
    Maybe it's tires?

nah, not the tires theyre choppy but thats not the half of it. I worked in a tire/lube place for @ 2.5 yrs tires and bering were my first thaught
    Last edited by 03silverwrx; 10-29-2010 at 04:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.