VDC/TCS question for 2008-2011 STI Owners

This is a discussion on VDC/TCS question for 2008-2011 STI Owners within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I've got a 2005 STi now, and in a year or so I'm planning on jumping up to ...

VDC/TCS question for 2008-2011 STI Owners

Hey guys. I've got a 2005 STi now, and in a year or so I'm planning on jumping up to a 4-door 2011 or 2012 STI (a new STI, whenever I buy it). I'm psyched that they've taken the STI back to the performance style that I'm familiar with (minus some understeer!), but electronic aids are a concern for me.

Here's the thing. I work for a Nissan dealer and I HATE VDC. I've experienced its influence on a number of occasions in a variety of models, and I cannot abide having a car tell me what I can and can't do. If I was planning on keeping my STi longer, I would go to the trouble of disabling ABS. I really like that, on the 05, the only things that I don't have direct control over are the throttle (DBW not mechanical) and the center diff (unless I use the DCCD, obviously).

My question is how much the VDC and TCS interfere during aggressive driving. I tend to drive hard a lot of the time, and I get very tail happy on wet road. How often does the VDC kick in and under what circumstances? Also how noticeable is the influence? I assume there's a TCD/VDC OFF button that can easily disable the system?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kempobmx1; 10-27-2010 at 12:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yea, the electronic nanny sucks sometimes coming on too soon... When I want to play, I put it in delay mode and it's OK to rip loose the tires a bit without it coming on. I never actually turned it right off as the manual advised to only do that for a short time or damage may occur, and is only supposed to be used when stuck and trying to get free...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Oh ok, so there's a mode where it will still save the big screw ups, but without limiting hard driving as much? Sounds similar to the GTR's VDC-R setting.