Card in the spokes.

This is a discussion on Card in the spokes. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A couple of problems here. Recently the front rotors and pads were replaced on my 06 wrx tr. dba rotors ...

Card in the spokes.

A couple of problems here. Recently the front rotors and pads were replaced on my 06 wrx tr. dba rotors and hawk hps pads were installed. Recently a noise started, sounding kinda like putting a card in the spokes of your bike, then the clicks just get closer together when hitting the brakes. Any suggestions, warped rotors again? Pads not seated correctly?

Second issue, the tranny went out out about a month ago. Luckily she was still under warranty. The car only has 45k miles on it. I do my occasional auto-x, but nothing I did should have made it go out this quick. I guess just because the tranny wasn't made stronger when they switched to the 2.5. Anyways, bearings and other components were replaced, I went ahead and did a clutch at the same time, ACT "Stage 1" clutch was installed, new flywheel, etc. Took a couple of days to get used to the clutch, but I like it.

On to the problem, when I let off the gas, while in gear, it's rough and doesn't sound good. It happens in every gear, not just 2nd or 3rd, etc. Any ideas?

This is getting old, I tell everyone Subaru is a great car and should almost go into sales for the company. I love the flat fours and AWD, but I'm losing faith. There has been mystery problems from the beginning.

Sorry, going on and on, but it's just getting annoying. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anybody? Am I wasting my time here? Hellllloooooooo?

I Support ClubWRX
    Pull the wheels, check for debris again, check the sliders again; maybe you're dragging.

No help on the gearbox, I'm lost, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you. I really do appreciate an answer.
    So, pull the wheels, check bearings, etc. And I guess I go to the shop for the tranny.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tc95050 View Post
    Thank you. I really do appreciate an answer.
    So, pull the wheels, check bearings, etc. And I guess I go to the shop for the tranny.
    It's under warranty anyway.

When you pull the wheels look for any clips out of place, debris anywhere, and make sure the pads are located correctly in their spots. I can't think of what else it might be.

Another idea is to have a friend stand outside the car as you drive by, on either side of the road, and see if you can sort out which side is doing it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There is groove on the back of the rotors. If it is not machined properly it will grind against the back plate. If this is a cross drilled rotors, it tends to make wind noise under braking it is normal.

Oh, forgot to put the parts down. Dba slotted rotors and hawk hps pads.

Oh, guess I didn't, 'cept for the slotted rotors part.

HPS pads are good pads. Is the noise there all the times or only when you apply brake? If it only makes noise with you apply brake that is normal. Drilled or slotted will make some type of noise when brake is apply air is circulating on the surface.

The noise when you let of the gas sounds clutch related. I had a similar issue, maybe even the same one. When I was in gear (especially in 1-4) and let off the gas, I heard these loud grinding sounds. It seemed to get worse if I was going downhill. I replaced the clutch and the issue went away for a while. Now it is starting to happen again after only 15K miles on the new clutch. It's weird because I babied it and gave it the full recommended break in.

If you ever figure out what the problem is, post it. I'm very curious.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD