Full Throttle then BOGGING, Check Engine, rough idle - Code Misfire cyl #1??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Full Throttle then BOGGING, Check Engine, rough idle - Code Misfire cyl #1?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so I was accelerating on highway from about 40miles/hour at full throttle when suddenly car felt like 'hit' with something... ...

Question Full Throttle then BOGGING, Check Engine, rough idle - Code Misfire cyl #1??

so I was accelerating on highway from about 40miles/hour at full throttle when suddenly car felt like 'hit' with something... bogs down...

acceleration now week and check engine came on. I drove it gently on highway to visit my cousin. idle now rough and car lacks power

a friendly local mechanic read fault code and said its "misfire on cylinder 1"

what is likely cause of this? would coil pack fail suddenly or ...?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    MISFIRES

1. Wrong, worn or incorrect gapped spark plugs. You should run only NGK stock range plugs gapped to .028.

2. Clogged injectors. Have the injectors cleaned or at least run several bottles of a good injector cleaner through the engine.

3. Carbon build up on motor. Real common on EJ205's. Get some BG Chemtool, GM top end cleaner or other type of carbon remover. GM top end cleaner seems to work really well.

4. Oil or dirt build up on MAF sensor. This causes an incorrect load reading which make for AFR corrections out of line. Misfires can result. Remove the sensor, place in plastic bag. Spray out with CRC MAF cleaner or NON chlorinated brake cleaner.

5. Vacuum leak. Check the turbo inlet pipe where it connects to the turbo. This pipe is famous for ripping and causing a huge preturbo leak.

6. Clean the ground cables that run to the intake manifold. These are sensor grounds and must be kept clean.

7. Cam timing

8. Excessive PCV blow by. PVC gases will effectively lower the octane content of gasoline/petrol.

9. Check valve clearances.

10. Lightweight flywheels or crank pullies. (phantom misfires)
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-27-2010 at 07:09 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Donkey - thanks for tips!

but which of those would likely cause an Immediate loss of power and bogging?

I get the sense that a worn spark plug wouldn't suddenly fail like that... or carbon build up.

feels like car is running on 3 cylinders almost, bogging, rough idle...

hmm not sure where to start now..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.