Changing Clutch NEED SOME Advice!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Changing Clutch NEED SOME Advice!!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New to Clubwrx so i might be posting this in the wrong place.... Alright everyone i just picked up an ...

Changing Clutch NEED SOME Advice!!!!!

New to Clubwrx so i might be posting this in the wrong place....

Alright everyone i just picked up an 04 WRX with 85000 miles, its now time to change the clutch since its slipping horribly?? I am trying to figure out if i should go with OEM Clutch or go with the Competition Clutch Stage 2??? any advice would help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The OEM seems to have done quite well, especially if you drove hard or had some modifications.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The OEM seems to have done quite well, especially if you drove hard or had some modifications.
    Well i just recently picked up the car, when i bought it, it had 83000, only mod done to the car is the exhaust and bov......the old owner said he never changed to clutch.......i haven't ridden the car hard since i know the clutch is going out soon and don't want it to eff up the transmission.....

I Support ClubWRX
    If the car is stock in power output I'd strongly consider OEM parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    As said, the stocker is fine for anything near stock power levels.
    Moving to maintenance...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Over here, subaru mechanics recommend STI clutch for WRX. But small modifications should be done for that change. I dont know what the small modification really is.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The OEM WRX clutch will actually hold up quite well past the stock power levels, stage 2, and even into mild turbo swaps. Stick with the OEM. You also don't have as large of a risk of grenading second gear with the OEM clutch. The less shock to the drivetrain the better.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    The OEM WRX clutch will actually hold up quite well past the stock power levels, stage 2, and even into mild turbo swaps. Stick with the OEM. You also don't have as large of a risk of grenading second gear with the OEM clutch. The less shock to the drivetrain the better.
    I think I am going with the Competition Clutch stage 2, since i plan on doing an upgrade soon, thanks for the advice though...

REMEMBER, changing the clutch will also require a new flywheel(Subaru flywheels should not be resurfaced.Its possible but not recommended).Do NOT buy a lightweight flywheel.Nothing but headaches with check engine lights for cyl misfire or crank position sensor..sometimes both. I would stick with the OEM 23lb(not sure on exact weight but its mid 20s) flywheel. I put in a 11lb flywheel without doing my research when i first got my bug eye and it was a nightmare to say the least!!
    NYCE1S.com
    www.Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on our Facebook fan page:Nyce1s.com
    Follow us on Twitter:@Rwnyce1s & @Nyce1s

92' Bubble with K20 swap.Tuned by Yosolo with KPRO
    02' WRX with basic bolt-ons(for now)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKwrx04 View Post
    I think I am going with the Competition Clutch stage 2, since i plan on doing an upgrade soon, thanks for the advice though...
    Good luck with that. But don't say I didn't warn you if you grenade second gear.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

i'm a proud 2009 wrx owner now but for 4 years i had an 05 wrx. roughly same mileage i changed to an act streetlite clutch...worst decision i ever made. it was the whole kit the the pressure of the clutch was heavier than my dad's 2007 c6 vette haha. it shook horribly even after a 3k break in...then i let my friend drive it and BOOM there goes the tranny. the stock clutch is so much more forgiving(tranny blew because of how he drove don't get me wrong but that clutch was much more UNforgiving). so, even though i had a vf48 05 wrx with near 300whp 300ftlb tuned by jorge @ p&l...when i got the tranny fixed i had them put in the exedy oem clutch and wow...so much better. you can search it out to, so many nightmares from people that do even a simple clutch upgrade like myself. it just makes driveability so much worse.
    Soon to be Stage 2.5 WRX.....

Good luck with that. But don't say I didn't warn you if you grenade second gear.
    i'm staring at my second gear in the face haha. i have it on a wallshelf behind my desk as a reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by SIKwrx04 View Post
    Why ask for advice, then not take it?

Do what you want, but remember your drivetrain is only as strong as its weakest link. Bah why am I saying anything!?

Buy the stage 2 and come back here when your tranny goes.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I think some people make a decision in their head on what they want to do and post on here in the hope that everyone will say yeah thats a great idea do it you are making the right choice, just for that bit of extra confidence but bye bye second gear...

just from experience...oem exedy clutch is more than sufficient...puts less strain on tranny, is dirt cheap and makes daily driving so much better and there was absolutely no break in period....i mean stocker lasted me 50k miles before slipping on a vf34(then switched to vf48) making 280/270. simplicity is my personal fav.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast