Break in period for 2011 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break in period for 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have heard conflicting opinions on how long the break in period is for a new WRX. I pick ...

Break in period for 2011 WRX

So I have heard conflicting opinions on how long the break in period is for a new WRX. I pick my car up tomorrow, its the base model WRX in world rally blue. I am beyond thrilled to get this car, but I'm concerned about the break in period... When I asked the dealer they looked at me like I was brain dead. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've read in various forums anywhere from 1000 miles to 5000. and I'm impatient.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dannalley View Post
    So I have heard conflicting opinions on how long the break in period is for a new WRX. I pick my car up tomorrow, its the base model WRX in world rally blue. I am beyond thrilled to get this car, but I'm concerned about the break in period... When I asked the dealer they looked at me like I was brain dead. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've read in various forums anywhere from 1000 miles to 5000. and I'm impatient.
    Now that i have had more time to look on the forums on here i guess i am going to with the 1000 mile break in. i read someone else who said no one knows subarus better than subaru. which is very true. this forum site is far better than the other ones.

No offense to you personally man so please don't interpret that way.. but lately there are dozens of questions like this.. and I'm just really shocked that everyone seems to think right off the bat that the manufacturer is full of it when they mention the break in needs.

They built it, they know how to break it in. You've obviously already figured that one out but you'd be surprised how many people dont or just choose to abide by a forum rather than the engineers that designed the powertrain.

That 3" thick book of stuff in the glove box should be read cover to cover the first night the car is home. If more people would RTFM and actually take it with more than a grain of salt this wouldn't be a re-occurring topic.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    No offense to you personally man so please don't interpret that way.. but lately there are dozens of questions like this.. and I'm just really shocked that everyone seems to think right off the bat that the manufacturer is full of it when they mention the break in needs.

They built it, they know how to break it in. You've obviously already figured that one out but you'd be surprised how many people dont or just choose to abide by a forum rather than the engineers that designed the powertrain.

That 3" thick book of stuff in the glove box should be read cover to cover the first night the car is home. If more people would RTFM and actually take it with more than a grain of salt this wouldn't be a re-occurring topic.
    I totally understand what you're saying... and after looking much more at this forum I see everyone has the same questions. I read one that some guy was buying a new WRX and the dealer told him that he can hammer on it if thats the way it's going to be driven normally. Which makes no sense to me at.

And the only reason i haven't read my manual it that i don't have the car home yet. But tomorrow night I'll be going at it.

My biggest concern was the lack of knowledge at the dealership, because when i brought up a break in period the sales person had no idea.

I'm all about doing exactly what the manual specifies for a break in period. I was just basically looking for clarification on what I've heard before i pick up the car.

i can also see how everyone must be sick and tired about hearing about break in periods.

Yeah lately some of the break in questions have just been .. well.. stuff that should be common sense if they had read the manual. It should be a foregone conclusion that the oem knows what the system needs and recommend it for a reason. hearsay and rumors aren't ever solid sources of info.

fyi, most sales guys are basic salesman.. it doesn't matter what they sell.. so some of those guys may not even have a background in cars or anything car related. For that reason I recommend that if you want to know something technical, talk to a tech or one of the service writers.

service wise, as you rack up mileage follow the recommended service schedule that comes with the owners manual. Many dealers will try to push you into working by their maint schedule instead of what the oem recommends... at YOUR expense/their profit.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

With all that being said the manual says to change the oil every 3750 miles but I am wondering if it would be a big deal to just change it every 3000 miles instead. Not trying to sound lazy but I just feel like it's easier to keep track of every 3000 miles instead of every 3750 miles. Also how much does Subaru actually charge for an oil change and what all comes with it bc some dealers will rotate your tires too without letting you know and charge you for it. I got a letter in the mail saying my first oil change is free but I was wanting to know if it's worth going there or doing it myself.
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

Quote Originally Posted by hcancino View Post
    With all that being said the manual says to change the oil every 3750 miles but I am wondering if it would be a big deal to just change it every 3000 miles instead. Not trying to sound lazy but I just feel like it's easier to keep track of every 3000 miles instead of every 3750 miles. Also how much does Subaru actually charge for an oil change and what all comes with it bc some dealers will rotate your tires too without letting you know and charge you for it. I got a letter in the mail saying my first oil change is free but I was wanting to know if it's worth going there or doing it myself.
    You can't change oil too often and I agree, it's easier to keep track every 3000 miles, that's what I do. I asked what they charge for just and oil change at my dealer and I got "somewhere in the neighborhood of $100" so I do it myself. Costs me under $50 and I get the oil and filter I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    You can't change oil too often and I agree, it's easier to keep track every 3000 miles, that's what I do. I asked what they charge for just and oil change at my dealer and I got "somewhere in the neighborhood of $100" so I do it myself. Costs me under $50 and I get the oil and filter I want.
    Wow I can't believe your dealer told you around $100 for my sti the dealer would charge me $34 for an oil change.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Wow I can't believe your dealer told you around $100 for my sti the dealer would charge me $34 for an oil change.
    For Synthetic? Mine came with free oil changes if I used conventional oil but I'd rather pay for synthetic. If that's for synthetic thats a great price. They told me my first oil change would be "discounted" to $50!

For Synthetic? Mine came with free oil changes if I used conventional oil but I'd rather pay for synthetic. If that's for synthetic thats a great price. They told me my first oil change would be "discounted" to $50!
    Go bug your dealer then because they HAVE to use synthetic since it is mandated by Subaru for all turbo motors. They added the requirement just this year.

I trust that they were using synthetic especially if it is mandated. My dealer is great and has treated my family well over the years probably why we keep going back to them.
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hcancino View Post
    With all that being said the manual says to change the oil every 3750 miles but I am wondering if it would be a big deal to just change it every 3000 miles instead.
    Just wasted money. Weigh the cost vs. convenience. The car won't care.

Also how much does Subaru actually charge for an oil change
    Subaru does not perform oil changes. Individual dealers do, and they each charge something different. Usually, as much as they can...

and what all comes with it
    ... usually as little as necessary to get clients in the door.

bc some dealers will rotate your tires too without letting you know and charge you for it.
    If you don't get a written estimate listing all work to be done go elsewhere.

I got a letter in the mail saying my first oil change is free but I was wanting to know if it's worth going there or doing it myself.
    Call and ask or look on their website.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'd say if you have the ability to change your own oil is invaluable. You can easily get mobil 1 and a decent filter from walmart for around $30. If you are one of those people that has to have a filter from subaru you are going to spend significantly more.

And i think anywhere that does both standard oil and synthetic changes have different prices. my dad owns a garage and he charges $15 more for synthetic oil.

and a simple suggestion to keeping track of the manufacturer amount of milage between oil changes is to buy a roll of oil change stickers if you do it your self. or ask your mechanic for one. then you know the milage it was last changed at.

first of all, salesman are salesman b/c they usually dont know poop about cars. if they knew anything about cars, they would work in the service drive and make way more money.

break in period is different for each manufacturer. whats the worst thing that can happen if you follow the subaru 1k mile break in recomendation? you wont be able to drive like a maniac for 1k miles, and then you can drive like a maniac for a couple hundred k after that. 1k is really not that bad.

if you decide to change you own oil, you will need some sort of official record of the oil changes. i use the invoices from the dealership where i buy my subaru oil filters, and i write the date and milage on the top of each invoice and keep them in a nice little file. if you have any issues that need warranty work ,the first thing the dealer will ask is if you did the maintence if they dont have record in their computer system, and you will probably need some proof.

enjoy your new car!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Whaaa??? you've got to be shiiting me!

dude, for one.. your 2011 is spec'd for full synthetic as mentioned earlier.. second.. I ALWAYS have synthetic (mobil1) put in and they cost me between $40 and $70 depending on if I have em rotate the tires or not.

You're dealer is attempting extortion. Thats bull****.
    Last edited by mangostick; 10-25-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast