freaking out about oil
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on freaking out about oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i bought a 02 wrx with 150k for commuting back and for to school a couple months ago and along ...

freaking out about oil

i bought a 02 wrx with 150k for commuting back and for to school a couple months ago
    and along came time to change the oil for the first time. i changed it 1000 miles ago and its already below the low level on the dipstick. i havent noticed oil anywhere on the ground in my driveway or anythin but im freaking out. anyone know how i can asses whats wrong? i have all paperwork for the maintenace that got dont timeing belt water pump etc not to long ago and i got my licenses not too long ago so i dont know much about cars but all i think now is somethings gonna happen before i add oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like your burning oil. At 150k miles its not uncommon. Engine components wear over time (piston rings, valve guide seals, etc.) so some oil will make its way to the combustion chamber. 1 Quart of oil burned over 1000 miles isn't considered excessive by most standards. I would drive it like normal and just keep an eye on the level between changes, add oil as needed

What kind/brand of oil did you use?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Don't mean to sound bossy, but by all means, add oil ASAP. If your car is burning oil at a quart every thousand miles, that's not too bad, but you will want to check your oil at least every time you put in gas if not more often.

I am going to add oil after work. I used 5w30 when I got the oil changed 1k ago. I checked yesterday and saw it below the low dot on the stick. I'm freaking out thinking the motors gonna go now and pissed that I gtohuslted by some scumbag around here. I'm gonna look again asap and just see if it its leaking anywhere. The car don't blow any dmoke and doesn't give me any problems.. you guys think I shoukd use thivker oil or any suggesritons onbwhat I can do is greatly appreciated

I am going to add oil after work. I used 5w30 when I got the oil changed 1k ago. I checked yesterday and saw it below the low dot on the stick. I'm freaking out thinking the motors gonna go now and pissed that I gtohuslted by some scumbag around here. I'm gonna look again asap and just see if it its leaking anywhere. The car don't blow any dmoke and doesn't give me any problems.. you guys think I shoukd use thivker oil or any suggesritons onbwhat I can do is greatly appreciated

I Support ClubWRX
    What is your location? What are the lowest temperatures the car will see in winter?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo30 View Post
    Don't freak out too much. It's never good to run low on oil, but it isn't necessarily the end of the world (or your motor) either. Be sure the car is level when you check the oil, and that it has sat for awhile, allowing oil to drain back into the pan and giving you the most accurate reading. You'll want to add the same brand and weight of oil that you are currently running, if possible. If the oil is dark, though, and especially if it has a "burnt" smell to it, that would tell me to do a whole oil change, including filter. It would indicate that the oil has gotten very hot (which might happen when running low on oil); dark color usually means a lot of carbon contaminants.

When hot, oil (like most substances) expands, so will give a higher reading on the dipstick than when cold.

It sounds as though you caught likely caught this in time. Let's hope!

im still worried that i could of been running on low oil for a couple hundred miles makng me think my motor is gonna crap out befor schools over this semester and il be screwed. i cant afford another car or to fix this motor if it costs me a couple thousand to fix. im gonna hopefully keep up on it i added oil today and havent driven it yet but. it just sucks i have bad luck with cars i buy from people even when i get them checked out.

and to the other guy i live in ny
    it gets to way below freezing in the winter in my area so idk if u were thinking changing oil

im open to any suggestions really to atleast slow this down and keep me runnin for a while

I Support ClubWRX
    Just keep it topped up. Make sure there are no leaks, and consider a 5W-40 next oil change. If you notice less oil use, you can stick with that instead.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So I have an 03 and last night i decided to check fluid levels since i haven't done it in a while.... When i checked the oil it was a bit below the L mark and its been about 3000 miles since it was changed. So the only question I have is, am i burning too much for having 73,xxx miles? Or am I good and just need to check it slightly more often?

Quote Originally Posted by buggedout03 View Post
    So I have an 03 and last night i decided to check fluid levels since i haven't done it in a while.... When i checked the oil it was a bit below the L mark and its been about 3000 miles since it was changed. So the only question I have is, am i burning too much for having 73,xxx miles? Or am I good and just need to check it slightly more often?
    You're good, change the oil and check it more often, I would say at least every thousand miles.

i added oil. idk why im still nervous about something happening. the car runs like theres nothing wrong with it still theres no knocking or anything maybe a little tick but im never owned a subaru so idk if it thats normal at idle.

now since the oil level was below the low dot how much oil roughly may that be? and what damage might have been done if the cars good now, or if it was leaking and not burning what might have been done to it.

i stress over things easily sorry things like this drive me crazy

Look st the bright side, if you have to add a qt every 1k miles, by the time you hit 3k you'll have already done the oil change

Quote Originally Posted by Cephalgia View Post
    Look st the bright side, if you have to add a qt every 1k miles, by the time you hit 3k you'll have already done the oil change

wooo wooo lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.