P0457 code from highway speed

This is a discussion on P0457 code from highway speed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I only go on the highway maybe once a month. But when i do, the speed limit is 65 mph. ...

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX

P0457 code from highway speed

I only go on the highway maybe once a month. But when i do, the speed limit is 65 mph. By about 5-10 minutes of driving this speed i will get a check engine light, with code P0457. I know it is a generic gas cap loose/off code. I will continue to drive until i get to my destination, plug my OBD reader in and clear the code, and also take off and re-tighten my gas cap.

It is a brand new Subaru gas cap, i purchased it because i thought it was my Stant cap leaking. Yes when i tighten it, i make sure i hear a few clicks.

Could this be another type of leak in the emission system somewhere else and the car is just reading it as the gas cap. Charcoal box have anything to do with it? Any other suggestions to fix my problem?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha_rider619 View Post
    Could this be another type of leak in the emission system somewhere else and the car is just reading it as the gas cap.
    Yes. Generally if you have been putzing around in the engine bay,especially the passenger side of the intake manifold,the EVAP solenoid and associated vacuum cluster is right there. Generally on of those lines is loose/disconnected. Mainly the ones that go to a blue vacuum "T". Happens ALL the time. All you have to do is Google search "Subaru WRX P0457".....................................

http://drewstechnotes.blogspot.com/2...oblem-fix.html
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I have searched the p0457 code and saw the blue connector comes loose a lot and problems are also caused from the charcoal canister. I checked my blue connection and it was on completely.

I was just trying to see if a speed limit of 65+ looked like something more specific, as my check engine doesn't come on for this code on normal in city driving.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    I have searched the p0457 code and saw the blue connector comes loose a lot and problems are also caused from the charcoal canister. I checked my blue connection and it was on completely.
    Then why were you asking if it could be another type of leak besides the gas cap if you already new it could be?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I was trying to figure out if there was a specific thing to look for as thecel only turns on when driving on the highway.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I was trying to figure out if there was a specific thing to look for as thecel only turns on when driving on the highway.
    Im having the same issue on my 03 rex(as well as my buddy/ same year and make), thats odd that only happens when driving in thoes conditions,

Ive also been told that the evap caniser can easily corrode or have a leak as well as they are poor plastic pieces, i plan on throwin it up on a rack this weekend to figure it out. I've got 104k and also going to replace the fuel filt, and throw in a wideband(im runnin a bit rich w/ my set up) ill see if that clears the code and let ya know,

I Support ClubWRX
    That's would be sweet thanks. Ihere any way to check or know if the charcoal canister is in good condition on the inside?
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

That's would be sweet thanks. Ihere any way to check or know if the charcoal canister is in good condition on the inside?
    Havent been abel to find a quick and easy way to check(havent looked that hard though lol) but im sure its on here somewhere just gotta keep searchin through the threads but most of what ive personally found is just convos like ours here lol
    Ill also try and remember to take some pics and hopefully be abel to post em

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah thats all i can find as well. I found out most issues come from the blue t piece behind the alternator and hoses near the charcoal canister, or the canister itself, but nothing else.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

so did some pokin around this weekend and

Generally on of those lines is loose/disconnected. Mainly the ones that go to a blue vacuum "T". Happens ALL the time.
    That was my issue, re- connected and also changed fuel filter. took it for a drive about 100 miles or so and didnt come on. problem fixed.....NO!! just this morning while comin in to work cel came back on, so back to square one, i didnt check the evap cannister cause i thought it had been cleared up but gonna have to crall under this weekend.... UGGG