weird "puff" sound after start-up
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird "puff" sound after start-up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Good day everyone. Last night I start up the car & let it idle while I put my kids on ...

weird "puff" sound after start-up

Good day everyone.

Last night I start up the car & let it idle while I put my kids on their car seat. The next thing I heard was a "puff" sound (its like one of those big truck that has air supplied brakes) that came under the hood. When I drove the car it was perfectly fine. I'm just worried that maybe there is something wrong going on.

thanks
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's hard to say because it only happened once, and the car seems fine. Do you have modifications? Do you have a boost gauge? What amp is that in your avatar?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It's hard to say because it only happened once, and the car seems fine. Do you have modifications? Do you have a boost gauge? What amp is that in your avatar?
    NOpe. I don't have any mods. It was like the car was releasing a gas. I did not get the boost gauge because most of the time I'm with the kids-- so I'm not really pushing this car.

What's with boost gauge? (sorry, its my first time driving a turbo)

That's an EXPOSURE AMP. (british company)-- really love the sound!
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

I Support ClubWRX
    OK, well, it's a new car, no mods, and seems to be OK. Once you have a chance, look under the hood to see if any hoses are loose etc. Other than that I can't think of what the noise might have been.

I asked about the boost gauge because it would tell you if there's a boost leak, but since the car seems OK I doubt there is. Look under the hood and if the car starts running odd, just take it in for warranty work.

I know Exposure. Is that a 2010S? I've not seen on in person in ages.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Its completely normal. My 2010 does it all the time. I wonder what it is though? Kinda sounds like a blow off valve but I don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK, well, it's a new car, no mods, and seems to be OK. Once you have a chance, look under the hood to see if any hoses are loose etc. Other than that I can't think of what the noise might have been.

I asked about the boost gauge because it would tell you if there's a boost leak, but since the car seems OK I doubt there is. Look under the hood and if the car starts running odd, just take it in for warranty work.

I know Exposure. Is that a 2010S? I've not seen on in person in ages.
    OK. will do those. I thought turbo kicks in during acceleration? My car was idle.. Are there something like a covering under hood scoop? I'm afraid to wash the car because I might damage somthing under that open hood scoop.

YES sir! 2010S. Are you into music also?
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by daijoubu-yo View Post
    Its completely normal. My 2010 does it all the time. I wonder what it is though? Kinda sounds like a blow off valve but I don't know....
    I see. During idle also right? Thanks guys
    2011 WRX HB in WR blue

budding audiophile

Yup during idle. I always warm it up for a minute or two on cold starts. Does it every time. Japanese cars and their funny noises.....

[QUOTE=BANSwee;2682160]OK. will do those. I thought turbo kicks in during acceleration? My car was idle.. Are there something like a covering under hood scoop? I'm afraid to wash the car because I might damage somthing under that open hood scoop.

you aren't going to damage anything soon washing your car's hood. Just proceed with caution around the hoodscoop- problem solved.
    There is a device called an Intercooler Waterspray system found on the STi that, well, sprays water onto the face of the intercooler. Imagine the amount of claims opened up if people could damage things by spraying water into the area in question you are referring to.
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
    OK. will do those. I thought turbo kicks in during acceleration? My car was idle.. Are there something like a covering under hood scoop? I'm afraid to wash the car because I might damage somthing under that open hood scoop.
    It's made to get wet and to withstand high speed driving in bad weather etc.

I wonder if you heard your A/C kicking on or something.

YES sir! 2010S. Are you into music also?
    I am, yes. I loved the UK audio firms, particularly the "cottage industry" variety amps, growing up -- think Croft, early Musical Fidelity etc. Nowadays I'm finding myself more and more attracted to nearfield and midfield monitors, particularly active monitors (think ATC, Quested, PMC) -- meaning one day I won't have amps visible at all, they'll be built into the monitors. Out of my price range for the time being though!

So I found out that it is most likely the air pump to help with emissions on a cold start up. No worries.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.