a leak...2002wrx

This is a discussion on a leak...2002wrx within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 impreza wrx, Just bought it about three weeks ago.I just recently noticed some drips of oilon ...

a leak...2002wrx

I have a 2002 impreza wrx,

Just bought it about three weeks ago.I just recently noticed some drips of oilon my drive way. It seems like I have some kind of leak what seems to me that is coming from above my oil filter (which seemed like a smaller oil filter than the one that was on there before, but that's the one they gave me at auto parts store).

It may be a fuel line leak?
    Would anyone know, what might be going on or what this will all cost me?
    Is like to fix it myself if there is anyway possible.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like either the sump or the oil "cooler" (the "base" onto which the oil filter attaches is plumbed for coolant and is used to keep the oil and coolant temperatures similar). However, maybe you'll be lucky and it's just the filter itself. Wipe everything completely clean, and make sure the filter is OK. Then wait and see the source of the leak.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I recently bought an '02 as well and had the same problem. It turned out to be the crush washer. I guess the oil would spread all over which made it seem to come from other places. I hope this is the case with yours!

Thank you guys,
    i really hope its nothing to major.
    I plan to clean it and check to see source of leak.
    Hope I get lucky and its something that can be quickly fixed.

I Support ClubWRX
    The cheapest options are the crush washer and the filter itself; with any luck it's one of those that's the problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the more i look at the oil residue
    the more i think its a major problem.

But ive just got done cleaning it off, and there are somethings ive noticed.

When i bought the car recently i saw that the owner before me had a oil temp gauge hooked up, well the line that connects to the washer where the oil is looks cut and its full of oil...is there any way it may leak out form there?

i also noticed that the oil is really gunky where the base of the oil filter is, maybe that's where the oil is leaking and has been for a while cause the build up is thick?

then i also saw oil around the oil pan may be there is a leak there?

lol

im just really worried im having it checked this weekend just cant get it off my mind.

when it leaks it doesn't seem like much my oil is still full and there is usually only about a drop of oil on the driveway.

could it be that the guy that changed my oil put too much?
    i think i remember buying 5 bottles...