Turbo Not Boosting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Turbo Not Boosting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys, i need some help. my turbo wont boost when i go full throttle. it will boost sometimes with ...

Turbo Not Boosting

hey guys, i need some help. my turbo wont boost when i go full throttle. it will boost sometimes with the a/c on or when i go only 1/2 to 3/4 in on the pedal.

my mods: i have a 3'' diameter dynomax turbo back exaust with no cats, 3'' diameter cold air intake, headers with up-pipe, and a sb3-xtg6 act extreme clutch kit.

I cant figure out why it wont boost. the clutch was the last mod i did about a month ago and when i was test driving it with the mechanic, he said i need bigger injectors cuz im not getting enough fuel, but we never went over 4500rpms and boosting doesnt happen til about 5k rpms. help me out guys, whats wrong with my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PS

My car is a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.

Sorry i forgot to mention that part.lol.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    How are you determining it's not boosting?

first, i would like to say thanks for the reply.

well, lets see....

it accelerates like a non-turbo car, where its a continuous acceleration with no "throw you back in your seat" feeling like it should be doing when you get to the right rpm's.
    Last edited by DARKSEID; 11-08-2010 at 02:15 PM.

I don't understand...you said it doesn't even begin to boost until 5k?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    How are you determining it's not boosting?
    I think he means...do you have any kind of boost gauge?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSEID View Post
    hey guys, i need some help. my turbo wont boost when i go full throttle. it will boost sometimes with the a/c on or when i go only 1/2 to 3/4 in on the pedal.

my mods: i have a 3'' diameter dynomax turbo back exaust with no cats, 3'' diameter cold air intake, headers with up-pipe, and a sb3-xtg6 act extreme clutch kit.

I cant figure out why it wont boost. the clutch was the last mod i did about a month ago and when i was test driving it with the mechanic, he said i need bigger injectors cuz im not getting enough fuel, but we never went over 4500rpms and boosting doesnt happen til about 5k rpms. help me out guys, whats wrong with my car?
    Who modded the car and what engine management do you have.............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

right, the turbo has to "spool-up" and when it gets to a certain rpm is when it delivers its power or "boost". c'mon guys, do i really have to explain how a turbo works? i hope not cuz thats why im here. i have no reprogramming or extra gauges. you dont need a gauge to know if the turbo is working or not, you should be able to feel it. what mods i listed above is all i have done to my car. i have nothing else but what is listed there. please help.

Oh we know how a turbo works! My turbo spools way before 5k though...

I hope someone can figure out what you are asking...I sure can't! Sorry!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

All I can say is the clutch seems like over kill and you need a good protune! You shouldn't have any reason to get bigger injectors though...hmmm...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    right, the turbo has to "spool-up" and when it gets to a certain rpm is when it delivers its power or "boost". c'mon guys, do i really have to explain how a turbo works?.

i have no reprogramming or extra gauges. you dont need a gauge to know if the turbo is working or not, you should be able to feel it. what mods i listed above is all i have done to my car. i have nothing else but what is listed there. please help.
    I certainly hope your car is tuned for those mods. If not, that's a massive problem. In the future I suggest not modding unless you have an idea of what you're doing.

Again, if you're not logging or don't have a gauge, how are you determining it's not hitting boost?

ProTune ASAP... you can't just slap a bunch of parts on your subbie without adjusting anything... hence your car is running like crap and doesn't know what to do or how to handel what's been changed...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

right, the turbo has to "spool-up" and when it gets to a certain rpm is when it delivers its power or "boost"
    Actually, boost is more relative to throttle position. I'm guessing you're only hitting wastegate pressure, instead of hitting no boost at all.

Get some means of reading your boost accurately.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

I Support ClubWRX
    right, the turbo has to "spool-up" and when it gets to a certain rpm is when it delivers its power or "boost". c'mon guys, do i really have to explain how a turbo works? .
    Please.....tell me more. Oh and by the way when you slap on a 3" intake (stock maf housing ID is roughly 2.70") and a turboback exhaust with no tune it causes the engine and ECU to be unhappy. When the engine is unhappy it detonates/knocks and destroys pistons and rods. When the ECU is unhappy (from sensing detonation/knock or overboosting) it pulls and timing and can reduce boost.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-10-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i think i need to program my car.lol at least that is what the majority of the replies are suggesting. any other recommendations would be appreciated. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast