Crank Pulley HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Crank Pulley HELP!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats the best way to get the crank pulley off on my '03 WRX?? I already broke a strap wrench ...

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Crank Pulley HELP!!!

Whats the best way to get the crank pulley off on my '03 WRX?? I already broke a strap wrench trying to hold the pulley while we loosened the belt.. no luck. help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

define? Are you trying to get the crank pulley bolt 22mm bolt out? or is the bolt out already and you are trying to remove the corroded on pulley? If its the bolt you are trying to remove, you could always bump the motor with a long breaker bar on your 22mm socket and rest the breaker bar on the D/S frame rail kind of in front of the battery ( This can be very dangerous, I do not condone this but it does work ) as soon as you have everything placed properly just put the key in and bump the engine ( DO NOT START THE CAR)....As you mentioned I have also used a strap wrench before I purchased from sears ( a nice metal one with a large belt )...

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Thanks a lot for the info man. I've been working on the bolt, and Im definitely gonna think about that other option you mentioned (bumping the engine). The only problem now is that I've been doing a clutch install, so my starter is out, so I guess I'll finish that project before this one.

Quote Originally Posted by nhughes View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info man. I've been working on the bolt, and Im definitely gonna think about that other option you mentioned (bumping the engine). The only problem now is that I've been doing a clutch install, so my starter is out, so I guess I'll finish that project before this one.

IS the trans still out, if so thats great stick a large screw driver in the flywheel and you should be able to break the bolt loose however you will have to be careful not to break the teeth of the flywheel....personally i think bumping the engine is a better idea haha