Could this really damage a V-tech engine?

This is a discussion on Could this really damage a V-tech engine? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 95 civic ex and I was driving at 40 mph when my car made a pop noise ...

Could this really damage a V-tech engine?

I have a 95 civic ex and I was driving at 40 mph when my car made a pop noise (radiator hose split open) and a small amount of white smoke went into the air and I began to smell antifreeze/coolant. I pulled over in less than a minute and lifted the hood to find that antifreeze/coolant had squirted in small amounts within the hood. I immediately took it around 7 miles to my mechanic to have it looked at because at the time I didn't know what the problem was but I was surprised that the car was running the whole way there. When I got to the mechanic and put the car in park (idle) heavy amounts of white smoke started to pour out of the hood. The mechanic show me clearly where the radiator hose
    had tore substantially and showed me how some kind of way the engine have VERY LITTLE OIL. He said that I should have called a tow rather than to have drove it there and concluded that I had damaged the engine and needed a new one rather than just replace the radiator hose and do an oil change??? My question is if my car accelerated up hills just to get to the mechanic proves that the engine is still good. All he would have to do is replace the hose and put oil into the engine and the problem seems as if it would be fixed in my mind? why would the mechanic deem the engine bad when after the smoke cleared under the hood EVERYTHING looked perfectly fine. No white milky or foamy antifreeze or nothing. Do you think my car might have a chance? What could be wrong or what can be done?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome...

you'd probably receive a better response here:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely a question for honda-tech, but this is a question that can be answered by any mechanically enclined person.

You MAY have damaged the engine, depending on how hot the engine got. Did you pay attention to the engine temperature gauge? Was it pegged on hot? If you overheated the engine whilst getting it to the mechanic, you very well could have warped a head or blown a head gasket. However, if there is no sign of coolant in the engine oil or vise versa, there's no reason to suspect that the head has been damaged in any way.

If the engine temperature stayed within an acceptable range, you likely just need to replace that hose, fill it back up with coolant, change the oil, or add more, and call it a day. There's no reason to suspect a blown engine if it didn't over heat.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Definitely a question for honda-tech, but this is a question that can be answered by any mechanically enclined person.

You MAY have damaged the engine, depending on how hot the engine got. Did you pay attention to the engine temperature gauge? Was it pegged on hot? If you overheated the engine whilst getting it to the mechanic, you very well could have warped a head or blown a head gasket. However, if there is no sign of coolant in the engine oil or vise versa, there's no reason to suspect that the head has been damaged in any way.

If the engine temperature stayed within an acceptable range, you likely just need to replace that hose, fill it back up with coolant, change the oil, or add more, and call it a day. There's no reason to suspect a blown engine if it didn't over heat.
    The engine made a strange noise at idle and a little a acceleration but oddly the the temperature hand stayed on C? I just have a gut feeling that the engine is not in THAT bad of shape after driving to the mechanic.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaCivic95 View Post
    The engine made a strange noise at idle and a little a acceleration but oddly the the temperature hand stayed on C? I just have a gut feeling that the engine is not in THAT bad of shape after driving to the mechanic.
    It may not be, but considering the engine was running on very little oil as well, it could also be on it's way out. Oil is the life blood for your engine, it NEEDS to be kept at an acceptable level, and if it drops too much, and the engine isn't properly lubricated, you run the risk of spinning bearings and other problems. Try replacing the hose and coolant, and changing the oil and see where that gets you. If noise continues, then you may have a bigger problem on your hands.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

It may not be, but considering the engine was running on very little oil as well, it could also be on it's way out. Oil is the life blood for your engine, it NEEDS to be kept at an acceptable level, and if it drops too much, and the engine isn't properly lubricated, you run the risk of spinning bearings and other problems. Try replacing the hose and coolant, and changing the oil and see where that gets you. If noise continues, then you may have a bigger problem on your hands.
    Great point and thats the really is the only thing I can do right now anyway. and ill see where it takes me from there, It just makes me nervous when mechanics have an "as a matter of fact" attitude.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great point and thats the really is the only thing I can do right now anyway. and ill see where it takes me from there, It just makes me nervous when mechanics have an "as a matter of fact" attitude.
    Mechanics are in it for money dude, trust me, they'll do almost anything they can to get more of it out of you. I have plenty of stories from friends and familiy members about mechanics, as well as my own stories from when I was young and just barely getting into working on my own vehicles. I only do my own work, and now my familiy brings their cars to me, because it's getting harder and harder to find a decent mechanic who won't take you for a ride. Now, I'm not saying this guy is full of ****, because he might actually be right, I can't say from where I'm sitting because I can't look at it or listen to it, but there are very few trustworthy mechanics anymore.

I trust the hobbiests more than I trust the "professionals", with regards to working on vehicles. True, some dealerships and mechanics can diagnose problems faster, but as far as working on the actual vehicle, no one will ever touch mine but me and the friends I trust.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Mechanics are in it for money dude, trust me, they'll do almost anything they can to get more of it out of you. I have plenty of stories from friends and familiy members about mechanics, as well as my own stories from when I was young and just barely getting into working on my own vehicles. I only do my own work, and now my familiy brings their cars to me, because it's getting harder and harder to find a decent mechanic who won't take you for a ride. Now, I'm not saying this guy is full of ****, because he might actually be right, I can't say from where I'm sitting because I can't look at it or listen to it, but there are very few trustworthy mechanics anymore.

I trust the hobbiests more than I trust the "professionals", with regards to working on vehicles. True, some dealerships and mechanics can diagnose problems faster, but as far as working on the actual vehicle, no one will ever touch mine but me and the friends I trust.
    Thanks man I started to learn that the hard way when a mechanic charged my $390 to put on a catalytic converter and afterward I received quotes of $150.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks man I started to learn that the hard way when a mechanic charged my $390 to put on a catalytic converter and afterward I received quotes of $150.
    Another thing to remember, always call around first

Good luck with everything.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!