Short block or rebuild?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Short block or rebuild? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got a dreaded knock this morning when I left to head to work. 2003 WRX with 120K miles. I ...

Short block or rebuild?

I got a dreaded knock this morning when I left to head to work. 2003 WRX with 120K miles. I have not even had time to check it out at all yet, but am debating options. I am a competent mechanic, and don't mind rebuilding, but figure the crank will need to be checked at a minimum, and I can get a brand new short block for under $2K shipped.

Just trying to take a look at my options right now and figure out the best route. The motor is stock except for up pipe, and I intend on keeping it that way, so I don't want anything nuts.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Are there any decent write ups on rebuilding the bottom end on a 2.0 block? I have not been able to find any so far.
    Last edited by meanstrk; 10-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Ron

MSgt, USMC (Retired)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.