what kinda errl?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what kinda errl? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm just curious...I always thought that synthetic oil was supposed to be better than non; but I've been told to ...

what kinda errl?

I'm just curious...I always thought that synthetic oil was supposed to be better than non; but I've been told to use regular(?) oil in the 2011 WRX...Apparently the owners manual confirms this (tho I haven't looked yet...haven't had a chance to read it).

Is there a reason to use one vs the other (because of or despite) what the manual says?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter311 View Post
    I'm just curious...I always thought that synthetic oil was supposed to be better than non; but I've been told to use regular(?) oil in the 2011 WRX...Apparently the owners manual confirms this (tho I haven't looked yet...haven't had a chance to read it).

Is there a reason to use one vs the other (because of or despite) what the manual says?
    Read the manual, it's much more worthwhile than opinions IMO. It makes specific statements about the type of oil to use. Then just follow those specs (viscosity, grade, etc.).

There were some lube issues on previous motors and Subaru made revisions to their requirements (rather than recalling all affected motors and re-examining the mechanical choices the made, at a cost to them, they reduced the oil change interval, at a potential gain to them since more frequent service means more money coming in...). There are also tons of opinions on oils, but the useful info comes from the manufacturer (since they're the best at building that motor anyway) and from used oil analyses that people have done and then post the data online.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-13-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I run synthetic only in a turbo subaru because the turbo needs to run on a very thin film of oil at ~100,000rpm... otherwise I'd use regular oil. Not much advantage to synthetic in an NA engine if you ask me (except for cold starts) unless recommended by the manufacturer. Again, everyone has an opinion.

I run regular oil in my 2010 WRX because that's what the manual says to put in there. Who am I to argue with Subaru engineers

2011 turbo models all require synthetic oil. It's in the manual.

Subaru recommendation through the manual and revised TB for older models is to use an approved grade of oil. Has nothing to do with syn vs dino oil. The oil change intervals for turbo engines was changed due to the fact our turbos were being fed by the engine oil line and they put a filter in the line they didn't want clogged. Had nothing to do with syn vs dino, but so be it.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

No, it specifically states that Subaru synthetic is REQUIRED for 2011 turbo models. It is recommended for older models.

I just looked in my owners manual (kinda flipped through it while waiting for my kids to get ready for bed) and it mentions that you CAN use synthetic as long as it's the proper viscosity.

I'll keep searching, and thanks for all the input.
    Last edited by cutter311; 10-13-2010 at 09:03 PM.

You are right. I just got some time, and looked through my manual, and it's not in there. The dealer told me that it was required, and it is on
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html.

Sorry about the confusion. I called another dealer near here to ask about an oil change, and they told me the same thing.

I'll throw this on here in case anyone else has the same question...Synth is not required, but it can be used.

Well, according to two local dealers and Joe Spitz from cars101.com, the dealers were sent a memo stating the new requirements. Manuals have not been updated yet.

It's up to you what kind of oil you use, but I'll be using synthetic. I don't know the legal issues, since it's not in the manual supplied with the car, but why not use it? It's not that much more money in the long run. I'd suggest you check with your dealer.

I sent Subaru an email via their website to ask them about this and here is their reply:

Dear Mr. Ryan:

Thank you for your patience. I was provided with the following information today:

Effective with 2011 MY Turbo vehicles and 2011 MY Non-Turbo Foresters, the use of synthetic oil is now required when performing maintenance or repairs where engine oil replacement is necessary.

2011 MY Turbo = SYNTHETIC 5W-30 OIL QT

2011 MY Non Turbo Forester = SYNTHETIC 0W-20 OIL QT

If you need any future assistance, please let us know. Have a great day, Tim.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Service Request #1-1115921327

There ya go...the mystery deepens. I will touch base with them...I'm about to hit 1k miles and am considering getting it changed.

Thanks for sharing that info!

Quote Originally Posted by TimbersWRX View Post
    You are right. I just got some time, and looked through my manual, and it's not in there. The dealer told me that it was required, and it is on
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html.

Sorry about the confusion. I called another dealer near here to ask about an oil change, and they told me the same thing.
    I just came across this thread after searching around. That link states the first oil change shouldn't be done until 7,500 miles. That seems pretty high for the first change.
    My owner's manual is not updated because it states the same as cutter311 posted along with a first change of 3000 miles.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

You also have to consider that the oil that came with the car was put in at your vehicle's build date.

For the small amount of money, I would do the first oil change way before 7,500. If nothing else, for the peace of mind.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast