Odometer light flickering?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Odometer light flickering? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, This morning on my way to work, I was at a red light and I noticed the light ...

Odometer light flickering?

Hey all,

This morning on my way to work, I was at a red light and I noticed the light for my odometer flickering slightly. Barely anything really, it wasnt turning off and on, just looked like was losing power for a couple seconds. Flickering is the best word that comes to mind. Anyway, is this nothing or is it a potential problem? It only happened twice for less than 2 seconds each time that I noticed.

Car is a 2006 WRX TR with just under 60k miles. No engine/power mods other than stage 1.
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Hey all,

This morning on my way to work, I was at a red light and I noticed the light for my odometer flickering slightly. Barely anything really, it wasnt turning off and on, just looked like was losing power for a couple seconds. Flickering is the best word that comes to mind. Anyway, is this nothing or is it a potential problem? It only happened twice for less than 2 seconds each time that I noticed.

Car is a 2006 WRX TR with just under 60k miles. No engine/power mods other than stage 1.
    I am assuming you are referring to the backlight when you have the headlights on?...Did you happen to have your defrost on? I'm thinking perhaps the AC compressor was cycling on and off if you had the defrost on and the lights dimmed for a second due to the electrical load, this is pretty common with pretty much all subarus from the early 90's however now that we are into the newer years I cant say I have seen it on a new one in a couple years....

Well, I cant say that any of things were on, maybe the defroster but I thought I had turned it off by then... either way, if you say its just a common power sharing issue, I wont sweat it. Thanks!

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Keep an eye on it. I *think* the backlight for the odometer is LED(s). They should last for a very long time without loss of brightness or failure, at least the standard, diffused type LEDs.

Bright colors such as blue, pure green and white will flicker first before failing entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    Well, I cant say that any of things were on, maybe the defroster but I thought I had turned it off by then... either way, if you say its just a common power sharing issue, I wont sweat it. Thanks!
    To be safe I would have the alternator checked, and take a look at ground wires, check for corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    To be safe I would have the alternator checked, and take a look at ground wires, check for corrosion.
    Will do, thanks! Im comin up on my 60k service, so itll be the perfect time to ask.

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.