Weird noise when feathering clutch backing out

This is a discussion on Weird noise when feathering clutch backing out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, I started my car this morning and went to back out after letting it warm up for a ...

Weird noise when feathering clutch backing out

Hello All,

I started my car this morning and went to back out after letting it warm up for a few mins. I noticed when feathering the clutch when I was backing out, I hear a weird noise.. I know that doesn't help much but it sounds like it could be a belt slipping, or the power steering pump.. or even like part of the tire is rubbing on the tirewell. Its a constant noise only when feathering the clutch, which leads me to believe the clutch is done. Otherwise it drives fine, clutch is a little choppy getting off the line in the morning when it is cold, but is fine after it warms up a bit. By Cold, I mean 60 degree's.. I live in San Diego. Just looking for ideas as to where to start looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It was a distinct enough sound to no that I probably shouldn't drive my car today until I figure out what is up. I wish I could describe the sound or even post a youtube video of it.

Have the same issue on our 07 WRX right after a new clutch install. Just as you let the clutch out you get a squealing type sound similar to a belt slipping but not as loud. This does not happen all the time, in fact less often than more.

Havenít figured it out yet but we have continued to drive the car with no ill effects so far.

I too am interested if anyone else has some input.

sounds like the throw out bearing?
    Hawk Eye #1991
    Dirty Crew #11
    Military Militia #1991
    I still don't know how I got this car...

Quote Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
    sounds like the throw out bearing?
    I was thinking the release bearing as well but it only makes the noise as you start to feather the clutch. No noise at all when you depress the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajsvat View Post
    I was thinking the release bearing as well but it only makes the noise as you start to feather the clutch. No noise at all when you depress the clutch.
    Well,, Sure enough after taking the car to the shop, it is the throw out berring as well as the clutch. Meh... so I had him put a stage 1 exedy clutch, as well as an OEM fly wheel.. get that out of the way. $1100 out the door. I think I got raped but I don't have the tools nor time to do it my self. Need to get the timing belt replaced as well.. coming up on 125K. * knocks on wood*