Rear wheel bearings....

This is a discussion on Rear wheel bearings.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Just but me a 2002 WRX wagon, 110k 50. I've yet to pick ...

Rear wheel bearings....

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Just but me a 2002 WRX wagon, 110k $4850. I've yet to pick it up, I'm picking it up Tuesday due to my work schedule. I think i got a good deal, but the rear right wheel bearing is shot and needs a new battery. Before this car, i had a lexus GS400 and A 1995 m3 and parts were expensive, therefore i do not want to start spending alot of money in parts. Can i go after market? any idea what the bearings cost in Subaru, i hate going to the stealership.. any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

Can't say I've ever heard of something aftermarket for a wheel bearing...

But I just did a quick Google search and came up with a bunch of shopping links for a 2002 WRX wheel bearing, as low as $35 brand new. Buy it yourself and take it to your local mechanic (if its not something you can do) and you'll only get charged for labor.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

LABOR TIME

I just checked all data, the labor time is approx 2.1 hrs @ whatever the shops labor rate is. Hope that helps....

7n7
    In my 03 Pontiac Grand Prix GT i had to replace the front Hub Bearings (not sure if it's the same thing though) but wasn't that bad to do on my own and the good year that i had my car inspected at wanted to charge 700 to do it...got each one for $60 from Advanced. I wouldn't go cheap-o on the purchase though. Within a year of changeing it they were starting to go again...so i got an 11 wrx instead lol

Good luck though, i would assume someone here will chime in soon on this that knows more about what the deal is. My hub bearing was probably something completely different for all i know.

Quote Originally Posted by 06TurtleWRX View Post
    I just checked all data, the labor time is approx 2.1 hrs @ whatever the shops labor rate is. Hope that helps....
    It's been a while since I've done one but that's just the luck of the draw. I wanna say we get 1.5 at our dealer. But we add another 1 hour for a frozen long bolt which usually is the case.

Op I depending on how bad the bearing is you may need to replace the hub too. Also you may wanna find out if the previous owner did the timing belt or not. Because that is now past due.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The dealer has a tool to do it on the car. Others will have to disassemble and put on a press. I had our Outback done at the dealer but use them for very little else.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The dealer has a tool to do it on the car. Others will have to disassemble and put on a press. I had our Outback done at the dealer but use them for very little else.
    Dip **** ex-owner said it was the right rear....WRONG!!!! it was the left rear. Clutch is shot, was able to enjoy car for a couple of hours....

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    It's been a while since I've done one but that's just the luck of the draw. I wanna say we get 1.5 at our dealer. But we add another 1 hour for a frozen long bolt which usually is the case.

Op I depending on how bad the bearing is you may need to replace the hub too. Also you may wanna find out if the previous owner did the timing belt or not. Because that is now past due.

WOW! we get paid 3.0 hours out of warranty of course and as you mentioned if the rear lateral link bolt is seized up I usually just end up disconnecting the lateral links from the rear diff carrier...