upgraded my tubo help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on upgraded my tubo help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello, i have an 03 wrx, i have done the following recently; evo III 16g turbo, aem short ram, hks ...

Registered User lucaslovesboost's Avatar

upgraded my tubo help

hello,

i have an 03 wrx, i have done the following recently;
    evo III 16g turbo,
    aem short ram,
    hks catless uppipe,
    hks catless downpipe,
    straight pipe,
    hks ssqv bov,
    fuel pressure regualtor,
    greddy boost controller.

now my check engine light is on for catalic converter which is fine, but also on for running lean?

im getting a tune real soon but im wondering if a tune will fix that or if i need injectors and a walbro?

and what else might i need?

sorry for making posting soo long im new to clubwrx, give me a brake(: haha.

thanks alot.
    My 16g turbo lag is there to give v8s and evos a chance.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...ra240sxwrx.gif

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd suggest doing the mechanical fix for your cat CEL - that way your CEL will actually mean something.

If you're running all that stuff without a tune, I would SERIOUSLY suggest not even turning on your car until you get it tuned. While you're on your way, drive it like it's in limp mode - never go boost, etc.

You are running lean because of your tune. However, it is likely that you will need more fuel flow as well (larger injectors, etc.). You may want to call your tuner ahead of time and ask him what injectors and fuel pump to go to - it's likely that he'll be able to do nothing until those are fixed (although there's a chance, depending on the type of tuning shop, that he'll have some to sell you there).

But again, the most important part - those mods without a tune are basically asking for your engine to explode. It's good that you're getting a tune, but if possible, either ask for a base map to get to the tuner, or tow it there.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

thanks alot, i learned something new today the last 3 days i have been smashing around non stop.ill park it and ill trailer it to a tuner.

and whats a cel?

haha, nvm.check engine light.

but if im running straight pipe how do i make it turn of without cats?

You will need at least 565cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump to even tune it right. You will also benefit greatly from a bigger and better intercooler, front mount or top mount dont matter. Your light will turn off and stay off with a fix from a Cobb AP or local autoparts stores CEL reader/fixer. Id really look into some kind of engine management if you already have all those mods. Your car can be ran, but only in limp mode or under 2500rpms somewhat safely.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

You should ugrade the Fuel pump and to larger injectors. Tune is definitely needed ASAP just so things run correctly. Tune should fix your CEL issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    So you didn't getting the mandatory fueling upgrades, an intercooler, or a new tune? That would be a major problem. If you're on the stock clutch that will have to be taken care of as well. You also need colder spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    You will need at least 565cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump to even tune it right
    He needs 650s minimum.

do it easy

Cobb access port, 650 cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, then boost till clutch retires.............

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    So you didn't getting the mandatory fueling upgrades, an intercooler, or a new tune? That would be a major problem. If you're on the stock clutch that will have to be taken care of as well. You also need colder spark plugs.

He needs 650s minimum.
    i have stage 2 exedy i replaced recently.so 650s,fmic or bigger tmic,walbro and a tune or should i get a cobb what do you guys recommend?

and what kind of plugs should i get? and can i still run 91 octane or do i gotta run octane booster?

(91 octane or 91 octane with octane booster) to be more clear. thanks alot..

Spark plugs NGK BKR7EIX . Cobb is so easy to tune with and offers online tech support as well as pro tune potential. type of intercooler is up to you FMIC will handle more power. Good luck! also the higher the octane the less chance of detonation or internal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 06TurtleWRX View Post
    Spark plugs NGK BKR7EIX . Cobb is so easy to tune with and offers online tech support as well as pro tune potential. type of intercooler is up to you FMIC will handle more power. Good luck! also the higher the octane the less chance of detonation or internal damage.
    With an upgraded turbo and supporting mods, a protune is necessary. Maybe the OP is a tuner, I'm not going to assume, but highly unlikely, so he's going to want to get to a tuner. Yes an AP is good for OTS maps such as basic stage 2, but OP should check with his tuner first as he may have a more preferred method for tuning such as Open Source. Your tuner will be able to tune you best for whatever Octane gas you have in your area.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaslovesboost View Post
    i have stage 2 exedy i replaced recently.so 650s,fmic or bigger tmic,walbro and a tune or should i get a cobb what do you guys recommend?

and what kind of plugs should i get? and can i still run 91 octane or do i gotta run octane booster?
    It depends on what you want your gains to be. Your tuner will/should tune your car to as much power as it can handle safely. With what you have on your car I'd be looking at somewhere around 280hp to the wheels. If you go with a fmic you'll be able to push more boost. Like mikie said you're going to want a protune. The Cobb AP is just going to give you the OTS (off the shelf) maps that aren't going to really be sufficient for the mods that you have.

On that note I have some 800cc injectors and an STi TMIC that I'm trying to offload.

Edit: Also when you start pushing power like that you're going to need to take it easy on your 5spd. Mash it too hard and its gonna splode.
    Last edited by Drews; 10-13-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Edit adding stuff.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06TurtleWRX View Post

A pro-tune isn't even a question since I know he can't tune it himself. And yess a FMIC will support more power, but it will be overkill for what he needs and a FMIC is only worth it if the benefits outweigh the negatives. In his case they won't.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

A pro-tune isn't even a question since I know he can't tune it himself. And yess a FMIC will support more power, but it will be overkill for what he needs and a FMIC is only worth it if the benefits outweigh the negatives. In his case they won't.
    Other than having a smaller turbo a front mount isn't really going to set him back. If he is still on the stock top mount then a front mount would still be better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.