upgraded my tubo help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on upgraded my tubo help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Drews Other than having a smaller turbo a front mount isn't really going to set him back. ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Other than having a smaller turbo a front mount isn't really going to set him back. If he is still on the stock top mount then a front mount would still be better.
    He needs to shop for what's suitable and within his price range. There is a such thing as overkill. It really depends on a lot of variables so I wouldn't automatically say that he needs a FMIC.
    Last edited by brfatal; 10-13-2010 at 11:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    He needs to shop for what's suitable and within his price range. There is a such thing as overkill. It really depends on a lot of variables so I wouldn't automatically say that he needs a FMIC.
    Well of course not. But all I said is it would be better than the stock TMIC. And if he came across one for a good deal it would be there if he ever decided to go bigger than a 16g.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User lucaslovesboost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

A pro-tune isn't even a question since I know he can't tune it himself. And yess a FMIC will support more power, but it will be overkill for what he needs and a FMIC is only worth it if the benefits outweigh the negatives. In his case they won't.

if i got a cobb id be able to tune it, ive had turboed 240s in the past and tuned by me. pretty sure a subbie shouldnt be too much differnt,

im just wandering what would be better? pro tune or cobb?

and with bigger injectors,an fmic, walbro and a tune could i keep up with stock sti's??
    My 16g turbo lag is there to give v8s and evos a chance.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/p...ra240sxwrx.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Well of course not. But all I said is it would be better than the stock TMIC. And if he came across one for a good deal it would be there if he ever decided to go bigger than a 16g.
    I gotta agree here, no matter what turbo he has a FMIC is going to be a better unit than the POS stock top mount. It may be overkill though, and why spend money you dont have to. FMIC is going to benefit greatly on a evo3, people see gains from TMIC to FMIC on just a vf turbo.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    I gotta agree here, no matter what turbo he has a FMIC is going to be a better unit than the POS stock top mount. It may be overkill though, and why spend money you dont have to. FMIC is going to benefit greatly on a evo3, people see gains from TMIC to FMIC on just a vf turbo.
    is the ebay 300$ fmic kit good?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Ugh, again with the stupid FMIC vs TMIC arguments. I will say again, this is ENTIRELY situational based. Yes, an FMIC is going to be better than the dinky stock TMIC, but a better TMIC, can and likely will be a better choice depending on his situation and his needs. Stating that an FMIC should automatically be the first choice simply because the stocker sucks, is very asinine.

Intercooler recommendations should not have anything to do with your personal preference, it should be an open discussion about what his needs are and what he uses his car for, nothing more.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lucaslovesboost View Post
    is the ebay 300$ fmic kit good?
    I wouldnt recommend it.. but some people are lucky and get one of decent quality for cheap, most dont though.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Ugh, again with the stupid FMIC vs TMIC arguments. I will say again, this is ENTIRELY situational based. Yes, an FMIC is going to be better than the dinky stock TMIC, but a better TMIC, can and likely will be a better choice depending on his situation and his needs. Stating that an FMIC should automatically be the first choice simply because the stocker sucks, is very asinine.

Intercooler recommendations should not have anything to do with your personal preference, it should be an open discussion about what his needs are and what he uses his car for, nothing more.
    1. You say the exact thing I said, a FMIC is better than a POS stock TMIC.

2. I never wrote that anywhere, in fact I just said an upgraded intercooler should be used.

Its not situational based, its personal preference. We aren't all going for the best most well rounded subaru in the world. I buy parts that I think will benefit my car, and myself when driving or looking at it. If I wanted to have a car with 15k of parts it wouldnt be a subaru trust me.
    Chris

I wouldnt recommend it.. but some people are lucky and get one of decent quality for cheap, most dont though.
    think i might just order it and hope for the best its only 300 bucks worst case senerio i get a brand name intercooler and ill still have all the piping..

The dicussion between tmic and fmic is a slippery slope and def agree
    this is ENTIRELY situational based
    ive had buddies run upgraded vf w/ large tmic and have a real smooth powerban and some friends (though i dont suggest) go w/ the "ebay special" fmic and have good results as well but usually there is more work in little mods and making it fit "righr" that can get frustrating, its completly up to you which way ya go but imo dont go the cheap route cause its avl, wait and sava and you will be much happier; you asked for our advice and there it is, and no tune or fuel upgrades w/ turbo upgrade and mashin it???, wheeew you been lucky not to gernade, get a good tune and prev stated upgrades you'll be fine.. good luck

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. You say the exact thing I said, a FMIC is better than a POS stock TMIC.

2. I never wrote that anywhere, in fact I just said an upgraded intercooler should be used.

Its not situational based, its personal preference. We aren't all going for the best most well rounded subaru in the world. I buy parts that I think will benefit my car, and myself when driving or looking at it. If I wanted to have a car with 15k of parts it wouldnt be a subaru trust me.
    I said the same thing you said, with a condition. We don't know what his goals are, and it's impossible to give a GOOD recommendation without that information. So, when I say that it's horrible advice to toss out the FMIC suggestion just because he's on the stock TMIC, I mean it. It wasn't directed solely at you.

We've been down this road before. Not everybody is looking to squeeze every last HP out of their motors. Some people actually care about how the part affects the way that the car drives, and from an autocrossers perspective, an FMIC would be one of the worst things I could possibly think of to install on my personal vehicle. Why? Because I'd lose more in drivability than I would gain in power. I'd be waiting that extra second or two for the turbo to be able to pressurize the piping, intercooler, and manifold rather than the almost immediate response I get with a TMIC.

It is situation based, absolutely, with personal preference mixed in, and only so far as what your goals are. It's only 100% preference when you don't actually care what it does for your car, and just do what's "cool" to you, or looks good. Not everybody is looking for useless HP/TQ numbers, most people will tell you how it feels is what is important, not the numbers gained, in order to get the kind of performance you WANT (preference) you need to get what parts fit in your equation for your ultimate goal (situation). If you only get parts you WANT, you have no regard for what it actually DOES. Make sense?

The only point I'm trying to make here, is that we should avoid tossing out suggestions when we don't know what his goals are. FMICs are great for certain situations, but not all of them, same for TMICs, but we should avoid any kind of suggestion until we can pinpoint what he wants from his car.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I said the same thing you said, with a condition. We don't know what his goals are, and it's impossible to give a GOOD recommendation without that information. So, when I say that it's horrible advice to toss out the FMIC suggestion just because he's on the stock TMIC, I mean it. It wasn't directed solely at you.

We've been down this road before. Not everybody is looking to squeeze every last HP out of their motors. Some people actually care about how the part affects the way that the car drives, and from an autocrossers perspective, an FMIC would be one of the worst things I could possibly think of to install on my personal vehicle. Why? Because I'd lose more in drivability than I would gain in power. I'd be waiting that extra second or two for the turbo to be able to pressurize the piping, intercooler, and manifold rather than the almost immediate response I get with a TMIC.

It is situation based, absolutely, with personal preference mixed in, and only so far as what your goals are. It's only 100% preference when you don't actually care what it does for your car, and just do what's "cool" to you, or looks good. Not everybody is looking for useless HP/TQ numbers, most people will tell you how it feels is what is important, not the numbers gained, in order to get the kind of performance you WANT (preference) you need to get what parts fit in your equation for your ultimate goal (situation). If you only get parts you WANT, you have no regard for what it actually DOES. Make sense?

The only point I'm trying to make here, is that we should avoid tossing out suggestions when we don't know what his goals are. FMICs are great for certain situations, but not all of them, same for TMICs, but we should avoid any kind of suggestion until we can pinpoint what he wants from his car.
    You said this way better than i could, so I certainly agree with everything. My bad for sounding like I did.

OP What ebay intercooler are you considering?
    Chris

You said this way better than i could, so I certainly agree with everything. My bad for sounding like I did.

OP What ebay intercooler are you considering?
    i was looking the ebay fmic kit on ebay for like 270 or something..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaslovesboost
    think i might just order it and hope for the best its only 300 bucks worst case senerio i get a brand name intercooler and ill still have all the piping..
    Piping/couplers are often the biggest problems
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lucaslovesboost View Post
    i was looking the ebay fmic kit on ebay for like 270 or something..
    Just remember you get what you pay for.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.