04 wrx idles high on cold start
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 wrx idles high on cold start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, After a timing belt change i have a few problems (one listed in another thread) but another problem i ...

04 wrx idles high on cold start

Hello,

After a timing belt change i have a few problems (one listed in another thread) but another problem i noticed is that my car will idle at around 1500-rpm on a cold start. After letting it run for about 2-5 minutes it will settle down and idle at 700-900rpm (which is what it was at prior) I dont have any electrical items on (radio, lights, etc) and the a/c and heater are also off. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bschr287 View Post
    Hello,

After a timing belt change i have a few problems (one listed in another thread) but another problem i noticed is that my car will idle at around 1500-rpm on a cold start. After letting it run for about 2-5 minutes it will settle down and idle at 700-900rpm (which is what it was at prior) I dont have any electrical items on (radio, lights, etc) and the a/c and heater are also off. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Cold idle is higher than warm idle, If you give it a shot of the throttle does it bring it down a little bit once it settles back at idle?

Quote Originally Posted by bschr287 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that is normal.......
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Its normal... cold winters here in utah cause my rex to idle about 1500 rpm's and after it warms up it goes down to about 600 rpm's... if it is up that high you can jab the gas a little bit and it will go down... I'm pretty sure its just to warm up the engine faster when cold...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

thanks guys,

the dealer said it is normal and i just wanted to double check.

High RPM on start could be sign of rear cat converter failed weld

My 2004 wrx had a failed weld on the rear cat converter. This showed up as high RPM on startup and slightly more engine noise in the cabin. Not noticeable at first but got progressively worse. If under 8 yr/80000 miles it is a warranty repair so I got it fixed for free.

If real cold like one gets in Minnesota, then 1500 rpm is normal. I started seeing these 1500 rpm levels in 50 to 70 degree weather so I knew something was wrong.

If you have access to a lift, take a flashlight and inspect the entire exhaust system otherwise you can just wait and see if it gets worse.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.