2010, white smoke on startup (sometimes)

This is a discussion on 2010, white smoke on startup (sometimes) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car: 2010 wrx, 4k on the clock. Properly broken in. Issue: The day I got the car and drove it ...

2010, white smoke on startup (sometimes)

Car: 2010 wrx, 4k on the clock. Properly broken in.

Issue: The day I got the car and drove it from the dealership after the first drive to the house I parked it for about a day, the next day when I started it up it blew a good ammount of white smoke from the exhaust, it would kind of just poof out, then nothing, car ran just fine. It didn't do it for prolly another 3 days, then again, on start up it blew the white smoke, and it went away, no weird idle no funny noises, car ran fine. Fast forward 3 months after I get back from Iraq. Car was parked for the entire time, turned over once a week, no smoke the entire time.

I get back from deployment, pick up the car, drive it contantly everyday and never saw the white smoke again, untill today. Started it up this afternoon mid day and it blew the smoke, it's not a constant stream, just a big poof and its gone.

Any ideas? Car is obviously still under factory warranty so i'll be taking it in this week, but if any one knows what it might be I can go in with some knowladge to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What does the smoke smell like?

Haven't gotten a chance to smell it, it's only done it 3 times and by the time I see it in my rear view mirrior it's already gone.

It's probably condensation coming out of the exhaust. Mine will do the same thing under similiar conditions.

After it warms up, do a couple hard pulls and look to see if you see any smoke again. If not, it's probably that.

BTW, Thank you very much for your service.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

BTW, turning the car over every week or two and letting it idle is actually very bad for the exhaust. You would not believe the amount of water produced by this and settling in your exhaust to rust it up.

It's best to just prep your car for storage or actually have someone drive it for a day every week or two.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+1 on it just being condensation.

If when you're driving it does this then I would be concerned. But only during cold starts and only 1 puff, that is likely ok.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)