Gurgling frm dash help

This is a discussion on Gurgling frm dash help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, Hoping someone can help, have a 2001 impreza ej15 engine, had a 100000 km service, cambelt waterpump etc, ...

Gurgling frm dash help

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help, have a 2001 impreza ej15 engine, had a 100000 km service, cambelt waterpump etc,

Since the service i keep getting a gurlging water sound on a cold start and also once hot if it idles for a little bit!

Any ideas on how to fix, lots of people just say oh its normal for a subaru, but it never used to!

Look forward to your help

Cheers
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Since the waterpump was changed out, I'm thinking there is likely some air in the system. Could be as easy as just needing to "burp" it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Ok sounds good,
    How do i burp the system?

Cheers mark

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Basically, you let the engine idle until it warms up (start with a COLD engine) with the radiator cap off, and the heater on full. This will get all of the coolant circulating through the system. Be sure to squeeze the upper radiator hose every once in a while, to help any air along into the radiator and thereby the filler to escape.

Let the car get up to temperature and let the fans cycle a couple of times, fill the radiator up if it's gone down at all, put the cap back on, and you're done. Be aware that a mess can be made with coolant coming out of that filler, when air escapes it can bring some fluid with it, so be ready with a towel or two.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Basically, you let the engine idle until it warms up (start with a COLD engine) with the radiator cap off, and the heater on full. This will get all of the coolant circulating through the system. Be sure to squeeze the upper radiator hose every once in a while, to help any air along into the radiator and thereby the filler to escape.

Let the car get up to temperature and let the fans cycle a couple of times, fill the radiator up if it's gone down at all, put the cap back on, and you're done. Be aware that a mess can be made with coolant coming out of that filler, when air escapes it can bring some fluid with it, so be ready with a towel or two.
    To add... an incline helps too. If you jack up the front end, the air will travel to the highest point, which you want to make sure is the radiator.

I would also add that antifreeze is "sweet" and very attractive to dogs and cats...also it is deadly, so if you spill any while doing this task, you'll want tok clean it up well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Very good to see someone adding the safety info!

If the worst should happen, for all mammals it's a rush-to-hospital event (humans too). For dogs at least, if there is any uncertainty about ingestion or not, call ahead to an emergency vet as there is a specific test that can be done.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think anti-freeze is now required to have a bittering agent so it does not taste sweet anymore.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Honda "blue" 100K coolant still tastes like classic antifreeze, sorry to say. I don't know about other brands.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ive been careful to clean up thanks guys!

Ive tried as you guys have suggested and im still having the problens, head gasket checks ok, i juat dont seem to be able to get this bit of air out! Argh the frustration! Evidently some people have said there is some sort of modification to the plumbing but im unsure of this!

Anyway if anyone can throw some more light on this most appreciated!

Cheers again

Mark

Pull the glove box out and go for a drive. Have a buddy listen to the heater core when you start hearing the gurgling sound. Look for leaks while you are in there.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

So I'm curious.. How do you guys know that the anti freeze is sweet? And how do you know its bitter..? Please tell me you didn't taste it!
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current