PS Problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PS Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got a new power steering pump and threw it on. As soon as I start the car and ...

PS Problems please help

I just got a new power steering pump and threw it on. As soon as I start the car and turn the wheel the pump whines like crazy. Is it a bad pump or is there air in the lines.

I tried the bleed the system for about ten minutes and drove around for about 10 min and the whining didnt go away and the power steering seemed to get worse and started to go in and out.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by SkunkyZ; 10-09-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    07 WRX STi Stock - my new baby
    02 WRX 225 hp 222 tq - Not at Fault Accident TOTALED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkyZ View Post
    I just got a new power steering pump and threw it on. As soon as I start the car and turn the wheel the pump whines like crazy. Is it a bad pump or is there air in the lines.

I tried the bleed the system for about ten minutes and drove around for about 10 min and the whining didnt go away and the power steering seemed to get worse and started to go in and out.

Any help is appreciated.
    Could be either, or both. Sometimes you get an air pocket in the rack and it takes time to work its way out. Give it a little and see if it goes away. If not it could be a bad pump

If there was an air bubble in the rack would it cause the pump to whine? And the whine only occurs when the pump is under a load like when I turn the wheel or hold the wheel all the way to the right or left. Also if i rev the motor when turning the wheel the whine gets super loud.

I already swapped my old one back in that doesnt work at all becuase I thought the new one was junk so i was gonna return it. The old one doesn't make any sounds but also doesnt have any power steering but it does flow a little because i can see some fluid get pumped into the tank every 2 seconds.

Would it be worth it to try the new pump again and see if it gets better?
    07 WRX STi Stock - my new baby
    02 WRX 225 hp 222 tq - Not at Fault Accident TOTALED

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkyZ View Post
    If there was an air bubble in the rack would it cause the pump to whine? And the whine only occurs when the pump is under a load like when I turn the wheel or hold the wheel all the way to the right or left. Also if i rev the motor when turning the wheel the whine gets super loud.

I already swapped my old one back in that doesnt work at all becuase I thought the new one was junk so i was gonna return it. The old one doesn't make any sounds but also doesnt have any power steering but it does flow a little because i can see some fluid get pumped into the tank every 2 seconds.

Would it be worth it to try the new pump again and see if it gets better?
    They aren't too hard to swap out so trying a new one would be worth it. It very well could be a bad pump if it is still whining.

PS pump

did you buy a rebuilt, used, or brand new? would like to know how it turned out since I am looking to replace mine soon since it now whines when its could and goes in and out through my 6 mile drive to and from work everyday....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.