Overheating

This is a discussion on Overheating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey WRXers, I have an overheating issue. History: replaced radiator and thermostat last October. Water pump was replaced (along w ...

Overheating

Hey WRXers,
    I have an overheating issue. History: replaced radiator and thermostat last October. Water pump was replaced (along w timing belt @ 98k) 03 bugger has 155k on her. No hot air coming from the vents either.
    So I replaced the thermostat Monday. Bad thermostat. I put more coolant in. Got her to normal temp. Still no heat from the vents and as I started driving her for a couple of minutes, she overheated again. Both of the radiator hoses are warm and solid (filled). I spent and hour burping her/adding $ore coolant (she took about a liter in that hour). She is not idling funny nor is she blowing smoke.

Thanks in advance, Club!
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

my friend had a problem with his Legacy and it wound up being his head gasket. but im no mechanic so i dont know im sure one of these guys/girls will know *yoda vouce* vary wise they are
    ME: I am losing boost its only boosting 10 instead of 15psi
    DUMDUM: I think its your booster
    ME:*thinking* your a moron

I Support ClubWRX
    Ssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttooooooooooooooooooom mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!

I mizz yer face...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

i would also have to check on the gaskets.. do you seem to get alot of milky oil? I had somewhat of the same problem with my 200sx back a few years ago... it wasnt bad.. but it would over heat slightly if i was really on it.. then one day.. the entire head gasket ripped under pressure and shot coolant into the piston... wasnt a pretty sight.. haha
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    i would also have to check on the gaskets.. do you seem to get alot of milky oil? I had somewhat of the same problem with my 200sx back a few years ago... it wasnt bad.. but it would over heat slightly if i was really on it.. then one day.. the entire head gasket ripped under pressure and shot coolant into the piston... wasnt a pretty sight.. haha
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlude View Post
    Hey WRXers,
    I have an overheating issue. History: replaced radiator and thermostat last October. Water pump was replaced (along w timing belt @ 98k) 03 bugger has 155k on her.
    I counted two radiators and three thermostats, and if so, you're on your third thermostat and second radiator. Assuming that, then:

So the water pump is 60K old. Was it a Subaru water pump you installed?

So I replaced the thermostat Monday. Bad thermostat.
    Did the original thermostat at 98K fail, or was it replaced preemptively?

Did you use a Subaru thermostat to replace the second thermostat? Why did this second thermostat go bad -- are you sure it was bad? How do you know, since the car is now overheating? That is, was the car overheating before the replacement, and is it still overheating now?

Did you install the thermostat correctly?

Let the car cool down completely. Stone cold. Remove the rad cap. Squeeze the top hose gently, repeatedly, and see if bubbles come out. Repeat until none do, while keeping the coolant topped up. Once that's done, leave the cap off, and turn on the car. Let it come to temperature.

Do the fans come on?

Do you see circulation?

(Just to be complete, it's ideal to have the same number of fingers after the job as before. To ensure that, stay AWAY from the fans, as they can come on at ANY MOMENT. Also, STAY AWAY from the fans. Oh, and avoid the fans. And, since the cap will be off, don't get too close to the open rad opening since it can spurt hot coolant and burn your skin/face/etc. Be careful!).

You should see circulation at some point. Don't let the car overheat no matter what.

Post back.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.