Headlamp socket melted 08 WRX NEEDS HELP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Headlamp socket melted 08 WRX NEEDS HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I guess I learned my lesson from buying lights on ebay. Some jerk send me bulbs that fried the ...

Headlamp socket melted 08 WRX NEEDS HELP

Well I guess I learned my lesson from buying lights on ebay. Some jerk send me bulbs that fried the housing. I know I can buy a new assembly but that is $700 and there has to be some other way to fix this. Does anyone have any thoughts? I see some screws that looks like the projector comes out but I am not going to pull the headlight assembly as of yet as I am hoping someone can help. I also know that in order to remove the headlight the whole front bumper needs to be dropped. So any help or ideas would be great.

2008 WRX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru does not sell individual parts of headlights like that. You're gonna have to replace the whole thing if you can't fix it yourself or don't want to retrofit it. What kind of bulb?

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to read this.

This should be a sticky - no pun intended. There have been far too many craptastic bulb / light threads over the past several months.

You are going to need a replacement assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    What kind of bulb?
    A really blue one. So blue it has to have reduced the actual light output.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

H11

I Support ClubWRX
    If you want the best compatible bulbs for a given car go here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

He is a great guy to deal with.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I dont need a bulb I need a fix for this. Some guy had this happen on an 09 on here he said he fixed it with a part but I cant find it

Actually.. yeah you ARE going to need bulbs.. one's that aren't going to melt the new housing you're going to have to buy.

Dan is a good guy to go to once you get another housing and need bulbs with good output. He'll get ya the correct good stuff.

What they do with the bulbs like the one in your pic with a heavy filter coating (the blue) is up the wattage so they still produce enough light to see by. Thats why the toast off the housings. I've seen dozens of housings and connectors in various cars melted like that. It sucks, but pays to do the research before hand ...as you've already learned

fyi, the bumper comes off quick and painless. Its pretty much a snap together affair. Kinda scary how easily it comes off actually.

here's the cheapest housing I could find.. not sure what side you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=220646174424

$339 .. ouch.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 08stock View Post
    H11
    H11 what? Are they over-wattaged bulbs? HIDs? Normal halogens?

H11 is the bulb socket designation

I'd figure you'd be familiar Justin lol.. they're pretty popular across a lot of makes/models now.

I'm betting what he had in there was a hyper blue or hid lookalike bulb with a wattage figure that was far over rated.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thanks for all fo the bulb suggestions, I already bought some stock H11 bulbs 55W nothing special from the parts store. I am familar with the types of bulbs but the one that did this had no wattage on it. I know the bumper drop is fairly easy, and I did email that guy a few days ago from ebay selling the used assembly he wants $500 for the pair shipped which is really not a bad deal.

But I really dont want to go that route if I dont have to but so far it is looking that way. I am leasing the car and only have a few months left, I just dont want the dealer to come back at me for any reason if you know what I mean.

ouch man.. yeah dunno... I'm with you on keeping it right so the dealer wont charge you (because you know they will) .. $500 for both is pretty good given what they were asking for each separately. I'd hop on that and write it off as lesson learned.

Me personally I've had a few $$ lessons with cars.. stings every time but I've never had a repeat.

0T .. are you planning on rolling the lease into a 2011? .. would be a nice upgrade/update

just get the limited so you already have the good headlights :P lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yeah I am still waiting for a response from a guy on here with an 09, same thing happened to him. He said he got some bracket that took care of it.

Yeah I have a few months left on my lease and I am going to jump right into an 2011 model for sure.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    H11 is the bulb socket designation

I'd figure you'd be familiar Justin lol.. they're pretty popular across a lot of makes/models now.

Huh?

I'm betting what he had in there was a hyper blue or hid lookalike bulb with a wattage figure that was far over rated.

This is what I was asking him.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.