over-heating

This is a discussion on over-heating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Question guys. My car is overheating when sitting still. I first thought it may be one of the fans. But ...

over-heating

Question guys. My car is overheating when sitting still. I first thought it may be one of the fans. But here's the strange thing. If it starts overheating while sitting still, I can rev up to about 4K rpms and it will cool back down. Must be a coolent flow problem. Any suggestions?
    New member of the 300,000 mile club!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds to me like you need to burp the system. Have you done any work on your car recently?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

No work has been done recently. This problem started about 6 months ago and has gradually gotten worse. Even when the car is at idle the heat doesn't work. Blows cold air. Must be a coolent flow problem. I drive my car daily and have to fix it soon.

Try replacing the thermostat? it's cheap, it may be your problem, if you get an aftermarket one (like grimmspeed), it'll keep your car cooler normally, AND, even if it's not the problem, it'll have you reseat some other stuff that may fix your problem (or identify your problem).
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

overheating

Check your heater core...if your passenger side carpet is damp or if the ait coming from the vent smell like coolant (sweet) you have a heater core problem which also cause your car to overheat.

Ive had this issue in a couple cars where the coolant ratio wasn't right...typically when I had more water than i should of. i now use a precise 50/50 subaru antifreeze and distilled water.

Thanks for the advice guys. I burped the system yesterday and topped off the coolent. So far, so good. She's runnin perfect.