revs going up and down while in neutral and sounds like its missing when driving

This is a discussion on revs going up and down while in neutral and sounds like its missing when driving within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 95 wrx wagon lately the revs started going up and down while in neutral from under 1000 ...

revs going up and down while in neutral and sounds like its missing when driving

i have a 95 wrx wagon lately the revs started going up and down while in neutral from under 1000 rpm up to about 3000 rpm some times it goes so low it almost cuts out. also while driving it sounds like it missing or not running on all cylinders but this does not happen all the time. i thought it might be the spark plugs but a friend said it might be the head or head gasket. i have checked the water and oil but there is no sign of milkyness and there is no white smoke or moisture coming from the exhaust can anyone help me with this any info would be much appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrx joel View Post
    i have a 95 wrx wagon lately the revs started going up and down while in neutral from under 1000 rpm up to about 3000 rpm some times it goes so low it almost cuts out. also while driving it sounds like it missing or not running on all cylinders but this does not happen all the time. i thought it might be the spark plugs but a friend said it might be the head or head gasket. i have checked the water and oil but there is no sign of milkyness and there is no white smoke or moisture coming from the exhaust can anyone help me with this any info would be much appreciated. thanks
    off the top of my head it sounds like a vacumm leak... any CEL?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    off the top of my head it sounds like a vacumm leak... any CEL?
    sorry wat do u mean- any CEL?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Check engine light..

When I port and polished my throttle body on my stage two car it did that on the first start up. I didn't think it was going to do much of anything, but it was enough to throw something off. I just let it idle for a minute, turned the car off, turned it back on, did that a few times, then drove it gently for a couple of miles, turned it off and back on again and everything was sorted out.

I doubt yours will correct itself since it just came out of no where, but searching for a vacumme leak would be my first course of action. Dig around and see if you can see anything that looks like it has come loose or cracked, etc.

I'm not sure how the 95 WRX is set up since we never had those in the states..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Check engine light..

When I port and polished my throttle body on my stage two car it did that on the first start up. I didn't think it was going to do much of anything, but it was enough to throw something off. I just let it idle for a minute, turned the car off, turned it back on, did that a few times, then drove it gently for a couple of miles, turned it off and back on again and everything was sorted out.

I doubt yours will correct itself since it just came out of no where, but searching for a vacumme leak would be my first course of action. Dig around and see if you can see anything that looks like it has come loose or cracked, etc.

I'm not sure how the 95 WRX is set up since we never had those in the states..
    oh. yea the check engine light is on but only sometimes it sometimes goes off while im driving. thanks for that ill have a look around for any leaks.

could also be o2 sensor. I don't know too much about 95s but I know before mine tanked (04 STi) the RPMs would flux a lot, and it caused the car to pig out (run rich) as well.
    Put aside the everyday world and come with us
    Into the realm of imagination
    The middle ground between light and shadow

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    See if you can find someone that will pull the code that is causing your check engine light to some on.. that would help narrow things down.