clutch problems? and shaky engine?

This is a discussion on clutch problems? and shaky engine? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I have a wrx sti 2000 ra, when I bought it I realised the clutch was slipping and the ...

clutch problems? and shaky engine?

Hey I have a wrx sti 2000 ra, when I bought it I realised the clutch was slipping and the guy reduced the fixing price from the sale price etc.

I just wanted to confirm what I am noticing is due to clutch slipping:

put the car at high gear say 4, at low speed and give full race, the rpms rise very quickly to 4-5-6 k but the car doesnt move as fast, then the rpms come down and speed picks up. burning rubber smell after driving.

The second issue is that when the car is idle it seems that the engine shakes slightly every few seconds. Its not much but it can be noticed when car is idle or it is driven at same speed. its a very slight shake or jerk , if you know what i mean... is it spark plug or something else?

the third problem is when i press the brakes there is a scraping sound... break pad worn out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Clutch is a goner.. sounds like you need new break pads too, but you could take a wheel off and look at them to see if there's anything left.

The shake at idle could be multiple things.. my WRX would have a slight shake every once in a while at the stock idle, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

I would replace the clutch, probably brake pads if they are worn down, inspect the rotors, and perform a full service if it hasn't been done recently. This includes flushing all fluids, new spark plugs, and timing belt, along with some other stuff. Maybe do a seafoam treatment to clean out the engine too..

Cleaning the grounds wouldn't hurt either, that has smoothed out a lot of people's rough idle problems.