coil packs

This is a discussion on coil packs within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My coil packs went right down and i have 3 pistons misfiring is it easy to replace the parts myself? ...

coil packs

My coil packs went right down and i have 3 pistons misfiring is it easy to replace the parts myself? any tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky_stat View Post
    My coil packs went right down
    What does this mean?

and i have 3 pistons misfiring is it easy to replace the parts myself? any tips?
    What parts? Do you think it is likely three coil packs failed at once?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes they are very easy to replace but I doubt they are your problem. 3 coil packs don't go bad at once. Did you recently install a lightned flywheel,crank pulley or new spark plugs?

Most likely senarios are:

1. Wrong, worn or incorrect gapped spark plugs. You should run only NGK stock range plugs gapped to 028.

2. Clogged injectors. Have the injectors cleaned or at least run several bottles of a good injector cleaner through the engine.

3. Carbon build up on motor. Real common on EJ205's. Get some BG Chemtool, GM top end cleaner or other type of carbon remover. GM top end cleaner seems to work really well.

4. Oil or dirt build up on MAF sensor. This causes an incorrect load reading which make for AFR corrections out of line. Misfires can result. Remove the sensor, place in plastic bag. Spray out with CRC MAF cleaner or NON clorinated brake cleaner.

5. Vacuum leak/post MAF leak. Check the turbo inlet pipe where it connects to the turbo. This pipe is famous for ripping and causing a huge preturbo leak. Check vacuum lines.

6. Clean the ground cables that run to the intake manifold. These are sensor grounds and must be kept clean.

7. Cam timing. Check and make sure the timing belt has not jumped a tooth or two.

8. Excessive PCV blow by. PVC gases will effectively lower the octane content of gasoline/petrol.

9. Check valve clearances.

10.Recent install of lightned flywheel or lightned crank pulley. Less rotational mass on the crank will confuse the ECU and the way it interprets the crank sensor signal.

11. Bad coil pack.
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-04-2010 at 07:16 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I thought it was unlikely that 3 coil packs would go at once also. I took the car to the shop that tuned it and they told me it was the coil packs, however i agree that it could be something else. I was going to replace the coil packs and spark plugs hoping to get my car back to normal.

No I have not recently changed my fly wheel, my car is actually automatic; however I do have a lightened crank pully and I'm pretty sure I could use some new spark plugs.

That is a big checklist there Donkey but thankyou. If replacing the coil packs and plugs doesn't resolve the issue, then I'll go down the list 1 by 1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Coil packs are not cheap.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I know they're expensive but i got used 1s off an 09 that i was told should fit through IAperformance.com for just 150$ so **** it, its worth a shot

hey i recently got a lightened flywheel put in and i am getting misfire code.
    i drove it about 40+10+10+60 miles with no problems then i just kicked and started rumbling and running rough. could that be the problem the flywheel?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scrltspedstr View Post
    hey i recently got a lightened flywheel put in and i am getting misfire code.
    i drove it about 40+10+10+60 miles with no problems then i just kicked and started rumbling and running rough. could that be the problem the flywheel?
    If its running rough I doubt it is due to the flywheel. The flywheel/crank pulley just generate a phantom CEL with no change to drivability.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S