2011 wrx clutch pedal

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx clutch pedal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sometimes my clutch pedal will click when i engage the cluch. The click comes and goes and im not sure ...

2011 wrx clutch pedal

Sometimes my clutch pedal will click when i engage the cluch. The click comes and goes and im not sure if it is something to worry about or if i should put some lube on the pedle harness where it engages. Also i wanted to know from other subaru owners is they like using AMSOIL or Royal purple opposed to any other motor oils?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brionride7 View Post
    Sometimes my clutch pedal will click when i engage the cluch. The click comes and goes and im not sure if it is something to worry about or if i should put some lube on the pedle harness where it engages. Also i wanted to know from other subaru owners is they like using AMSOIL or Royal purple opposed to any other motor oils?
    You are most likely hearing the plunger for the clutch switch...as far as oil is concerned, Subaru just came out with their own synthetic oil recommended for turbo-charged engines from Idemitsu....However if you would like to use something else do a search here fore there are numerous threads about oil and specific brands people prefer...

Is the clicking something i should be worried about or let it break in over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Brionride7 View Post
    Is the clicking something i should be worried about or let it break in over time?
    Have your dealer confirm it if you are concerned, fore some of the 09's had a throwout bearing problem however this will only be a noticeable sound as soon as you start to press down on the clutch pedal with the vehicle running while its cold ( like first thing in the morning )... The clutch switch you might be able to hear every time you press on the clutch pedal... If you are feeling inclined and dont feel like making a trip to the dealer you can pop under the steering column and have a look up above the clutch pedal, you will see a couple switches, now press on the clutch pedal with your hand and see if you notice the noise at all ( I'm not to sure how mechanically inclined you are ) haha...

Had clicking when I pressed in the clutch off and on for months, decided to take it to the dealer after checking the switch and spring for clicking and I couldn't find where the click was actually coming from... they said it was the master cylinder... They changed it out and everything good. Unrealised by me the clutch engagement was also deteriorating and when I got the car back the engagement was soo much smoother... As for the oil I use AmsOil 5W-40 Euro spec...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

any problems since this change to the new master cylinder? Just wondering. The dealer I went to told me that it's normal but lately the clutch pedal has gotten stiffer. 'Was wondering if you noticed your clutch getting stiffer? Subaru of America may be less inclined to replace clutch pedal assemblies as Subaru of Canada?

Everything still A-OK... The clutch never felt stiffer, just harder to smoothly engage. But it deteriorated so slowly I never realized until the new cylinder was installed.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Mine just started doing that this weekend... it's not at the same point in the pedal travel each time, either (sometimes near the top, sometimes lower down), but it does seem to be more often when the car is stopped than when I'm shifting on the go. Just a random click that I can feel through the pedal... something definitely mechanical going on. Looks like I'm going to talk to the dealer about this.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting..
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

Let us know what you find out. If the dealer claims it's normal after your test drive ask them to grease up that spring with lithium greese. Acording to NASIOC a few people put lithium grease. But it seems you have to really get it all over the spring especially behind it to really get it to work.

As far as theories go it may have to do with slight tension/pressure increase from the hydralic clutch or master cylinder due to typical wear. This increase in tension may be putting tension on the spring assist causing the coils to rub against each other. Let me know if this thory is sound or if there are any other observation that may prove, disprove, or lead to an alternative theory.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by SmokescreenWRKS View Post
    Let us know what you find out. If the dealer claims it's normal after your test drive ask them to grease up that spring with lithium greese. Acording to NASIOC a few people put lithium grease. But it seems you have to really get it all over the spring especially behind it to really get it to work.
    As far as theories go it may have to do with slight tension/pressure increase from the hydralic clutch or master cylinder due to typical wear. This increase in tension may be putting tension on the spring assist causing the coils to rub against each other. Let me know if this thory is sound or if there are any other observation that may prove, disprove, or lead to an alternative theory.
    Thanks,
    You know... now that you mention it... the way it feels and sounds could be a spring binding up. Interesting - let's see how the dealer responds tomorrow.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

FYI guys! Check this out. This may shed some light on or possibly cloud up the issue.

2011 WRX Clutch - intermittent click noise - Page 2 - NASIOC

Greasing seem to help but goes away sometimes. It's possible it just wears out or not enough coating the spring?

And there's a diference between the break assist plunger (switch) clicking and the spring binding click.

Hope this helps.