Can anyone figure this out???

This is a discussion on Can anyone figure this out??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; first some background. i have a 2002 wrx with a swapped ej257 sti shortblock and ported wrx heads. engine only ...

Can anyone figure this out???

first some background. i have a 2002 wrx with a swapped ej257 sti shortblock and ported wrx heads. engine only has 11k miles on it. so here's the problem: when i first start the car up i usually let it warm up for at least 5 minutes. when i start driving it the car won't go anywhere near full boost or hold boost. it's like it doesnt want to accelerate. almost like it has a bad boost leak. now here's where the confusion sets in. as soon as i leave my house i can literally drive down the street, shut the car off, turn it right back on, and drive off and hit my full 21 psi and accelerate perfectly. my original thought was a boost leak but seeing how the problem gets corrected by just shutting the car off makes me think otherwise. the problem also fixes itself after a good 15-20min drive and occasionally getting on it. any idea what could be causing this problem? thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd really like to know more details before giving an answer.

What other mods does the car have (i.e. intake, exhaust, turbo, etc)? On a related note, what kind of tune does it have on it (laptop street tune, full dyno tune, etc)?

What happens if you start it up, let it idle for a minute, then drive it? What about letting it idle for 2 mins? Does it have to idle for a long time before it'll go away?

Why 21 PSI? That's really high short of race gas...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

for mods the car has a full 3" turbo back exhaust, short ram intake, an ebay fmic, the sti short block is a stage 1 built by efi logics and an sti ver7 turbo. the tune was done by efi on their dyno with i guess a custom street tune. i was told it was a conservative tune because they didn't want to go too high with the wrx tranny. when i first start up the car i usually let it idle for a good 4-5 minutes before driving off. at this time the car has its problem. sort of feels like its hesitating and doesnt want to go once it starts moving into boost. as soon as i shut it off and turn it back on it starts running fine.

21 PSI is not a conservative tune. Honestly that behavior could be from a few different things such as a bad tune or a bad sensor. Do you have an OBD device so you can check for any codes? That's where I'd start.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    21 PSI is not a conservative tune. Honestly that behavior could be from a few different things such as a bad tune or a bad sensor. Do you have an OBD device so you can check for any codes? That's where I'd start.
    +1 Sounds like the car is going into limp mode. Are you not getting a CEL? What engine management (Cobb, Opensource,Ecutek) are you using?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

no i dont have an OBD device and i think it's just a custom tune. i'm new to the car so is that considered an open source? also what exactly is a CEL. i would think if i had a bad tune that it would run that way all the time and not just until i shut it off and turn it back on