Cant open my hood, no cable.

This is a discussion on Cant open my hood, no cable. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright guys, I have a problem. Yesterday I went to a Subaru dealership to get a new hood latch because ...

Cant open my hood, no cable.

Alright guys, I have a problem. Yesterday I went to a Subaru dealership to get a new hood latch because the one in my car is toast. Once I got back to work I swapped it out. The problem is that this morning I wanted to check my oil and proceeded to grab a screw driver because the hood latch cable is broken on my car. I went to open the latch like I had with the old one and found that the construction is completely different.

I suppose the question is, has anyone noticed a change in the mechanics of the 03 WRX hood latches? I'm about 3 seconds away from forcefully ripping out the grill and unbolting the latch just so I can check my oil.

FYI, the reason I need to check the oil is because I just paid P&L Motorsports 9K to swap my engine and give me a stage 2 kit after my old engine seized due to a lack of oil. I cant afford for this to happen again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how much does a new grill cost, I'm about to rip mine out....

I think you can remove the grill from the front of the car. It's just held in with 4 screws I think.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I know I'm being stupid but why didn't you change the hood latch cable when you changed the latch

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I think you can remove the grill from the front of the car. It's just held in with 4 screws I think.
    too late....

turns out there are 4 clips...strong clips.....

oh, and a new grill costs 119.99
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20100930_115341.jpg   IMG_20100930_115448.jpg   IMG_20100930_115912.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I know I'm being stupid but why didn't you change the hood latch cable when you changed the latch
    I only had the 50 for the latch....and I needed the latch because I drive the highway to and from work and i was riding on the safety latch....