Timing belt?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my car is an 02 wrx with 134k miles... I don't know if has ever been replaced and I ...

Timing belt?

So my car is an 02 wrx with 134k miles... I don't know if has ever been replaced and I need to know if the the timing belt is going out.

First is the car has a rough time starting once in a while... it will click but wo crank.. I let it sit for few minutes then it starts.. but far between each time. Now the car would die randomly while at idle but again very far apart but recently more (once a week). And now I can hear a belt squealing randomly and the acc. Belts are fine (steerin pump, alt).

I do have a CEL for the front O2 censor not working.

Anyone have any ideas?
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Timing belts don't fail gradually. How do you know the accessory belts are "fine?" The timing belt is either holding or it isn't. If it's not been changed, change it yesterday. If you are certain the external stuff is OK, pull the timing covers and examine the timing belt for physical damage. What you describe as the noise could be a roller etc. but make sure the timing belt is OK and not rubbing onto something. And if it's 134K old change it yesterday...

Your other problem sounds electrical.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The other belts are new.. alternator tension bolt snapped in july and the pully of the alt fell on the other belt so I replaced both... what kind of electrical could be bad? I have a new alternator. Come to think of it, my car also can't run amps for speakers/subs for some reason... its like it just looses power. Amps were tested and the grounds and power cables are fine.. could the front o2 sensor mess anything else up? I know not electically

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the battery. Fix the reason the CEL is on. See if the car runs then, but again, change the timing belt regardless if you think it's that old.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

any special brand to get or stay away from on the timing belt?

And i have to figure that o2 sensor out... fun day on friday =) i love working on car days

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru make great parts for Subarus. The OEM supplier is apparently Gates. Get a new tensioner and do the rollers and the water pump.

sounds good... i was looking at belts and they seem to be like $50 or so... there is one from greddy for $100, is there anything really performance wise that a more expensive belt would improve?

I Support ClubWRX
    Gates and Subaru belts are generally $100. I think the Greddy is a Gates but I don't know. I would not buy anything other than a Subaru or a Gates.

alrighty thanks.

Any idea on the other part? the rough start and idle thing? i tried to find the rotor cap to adjust it a while ago and i couldnt find it.. so i looked into it and found out there is none! haha what a dur moment i had..

I Support ClubWRX
    Fix the O2 sensor CEL problem and maybe that'll clear it up. I also think you have an electrical issue.

alright i'll try that tomorrow... it was lose wirings last time but i think it may be time to replace it =(

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    alrighty thanks.

Any idea on the other part? the rough start and idle thing? i tried to find the rotor cap to adjust it a while ago and i couldnt find it.. so i looked into it and found out there is none! haha what a dur moment i had..
    List all the mods done to the car. The rough idle could be due to a lot of things. Remeber,your on the internet. We cannot see you car or look at it. So its up to you to give the details to" paint the picture".

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...hp?t=134326138
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I have catless up and dp, mishimoto radiator, CAI and a tune for it all. Yes i know "take off the cai you dont need it" but its on there and i like it on there and it was doing it well before it was on there so it isnt the problem. haha that said, nothing else has been changed yet so i'm not sure what could be it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Replace the O2 sensor first and foremost. That could be part of it. Next would be to clean the MAF sensor and IAC valve.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

What is the IAC valve? (i hope thats not a noob question haha)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast