Local Subaru Shops > Dealership

This is a discussion on Local Subaru Shops > Dealership within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This isn't really a review of a dealership so i thought I would put it here. Yesterday when i was ...

Local Subaru Shops > Dealership

This isn't really a review of a dealership so i thought I would put it here.

Yesterday when i was driving i went over a little bump and after that whenever I accelerated the turbo made a really weird sound and just was not working right.

So I went to the Subaru dealership today and they wanted $80 to bring the car into the shop, just from hearing the sound they wanted another $650 to replace it and $100 for no appointment for a total of $830. That sounded outrageous so I walked out of there pretty pissed. Went to the local subaru repair shop, called Kens Auto Repair with no appointment and he got my car in the garage immediately, found the problem which was my turbo sensor came unplugged. Fixed that and costed me $30.

Long story short, dealerships will try and screw you over anyway they can.
    THE BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #80

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestballa23 View Post
    Far from a certainty. My dealer and their service department have been quite good to me for the most part over the past 6+ years. I bought the WRX new there.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

LOL, what else is new?

Stay the **** away from dealerships.

I took mine into the dealership I purchased my 10' WRX from for the first oil change. They quoted me $80 for Mobil 1 synthetic change!! They detailed my car for free though because when I bought the car it had some waxy residue on the skirts. Kinda looks like after you wash the car and dried water spots are going downwards. But this crap wouldn't rub off so they detailed it for free.

Later I find out that WRXs don't NEED to run synthetic but it makes the engine happier..

So I said **** that, called up my Subie buddy that has a bugeye. Bought some Mobil 1 synthetic at Walmart + filter and called it a day. $80 vs $32. Ummm yeah.. **** you dealership.

Look at it this way; you're paying for their nice polished tiles. The cute reception lady that doesn't know squat about cars but knows how to use a phone. Their $100 suits they all have to wear. The lobby/waiting center with the cheap coffee machine and water dispenser. The stupid shuttle service in case you don't want to wait for the maintenance time. You're paying for ALL that crap.

**** dealerships.
    Last edited by TheJ; 09-29-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: dodging swear filter

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mista jc View Post
    Care to edit your post? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/faq.ph...aq_noprofanity

There are good dealerships out there.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-29-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dbestballa23 View Post
    This isn't really a review of a dealership so i thought I would put it here.

Yesterday when i was driving i went over a little bump and after that whenever I accelerated the turbo made a really weird sound and just was not working right.

So I went to the Subaru dealership today and they wanted $80 to bring the car into the shop, just from hearing the sound they wanted another $650 to replace it and $100 for no appointment for a total of $830. That sounded outrageous so I walked out of there pretty pissed. Went to the local subaru repair shop, called Kens Auto Repair with no appointment and he got my car in the garage immediately, found the problem which was my turbo sensor came unplugged. Fixed that and costed me $30.

Typically dealerships are not going to be the least expensive option but contrary to what you may believe, that doesn't mean they are "out to screw you". They are out to make money on the business model they have. As pointed out, there actually are extra costs involved in running a dealership versus maintaining a small privately owned shop. And not surprisingly they are out to make as much money as they can too (like everyone else). It's not a charity. However, there are typically some benefits that smaller shops can't provide.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL, what else is new? ...
    Please don't dodge the swear filter.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

LOL, what else is new?

I took mine into the dealership I purchased my 10' WRX from for the first oil change. They quoted me $80 for Mobil 1 synthetic change!! They detailed my car for free though because when I bought the car it had some waxy residue on the skirts. Kinda looks like after you wash the car and dried water spots are going downwards. But this crap wouldn't rub off so they detailed it for free.

Later I find out that WRXs don't NEED to run synthetic but it makes the engine happier..

So I said **** that, called up my Subie buddy that has a bugeye. Bought some Mobil 1 synthetic at Walmart + filter and called it a day. $80 vs $32. Ummm yeah.. **** you dealership.

Look at it this way; you're paying for their nice polished tiles. The cute reception lady that doesn't know squat about cars but knows how to use a phone. Their $100 suits they all have to wear. The lobby/waiting center with the cheap coffee machine and water dispenser. The stupid shuttle service in case you don't want to wait for the maintenance time. You're paying for ALL that crap.

**** dealerships.
    Is it their fault you don't know how to change your own oil?

I laugh at people who swear dealerships try to rip people off and that their side shops were so much better. I laugh even more when someone brings in their car for an oil change and they always use outside shops and I look over the car and look at the hack jobs most of these places do starting with using garbage oil filters that leak no matter what.

I even went back and fourth with a guy on another popular subaru board on how he hated dealers because his very trusted mechanic said all 4 wheels needed brakes and that the rear brakes measured 0mm. I asked the kid if his car had been squealing like crazy and he said nope. Took it to the dealer and the brakes were at 6/32 and they cut the rotors under warranty since they were slightly warped. That shop tried to rip him off with half of his brake pad left. They totally make up for the fact that you pay half the cost in labor.

Damn those dealers for doing the job for free and saving the guy a lot of money from getting ripped off by a shady mechanic who seemed like the nicest guy in the world.